Flexible exhaust tubing

I'm looking for a source of 1 1/2" flexible exhaust tubing to be used to create a model of the headers in a tuned exhaust for my 0320 Lycoming which is mounted in my Baby Belle helicopter. I need 4 pieces 38" long but any lengths that would yield 152 ".

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

212

Reply to
Ned Simmons

JC Whitney Automotive. I think that Autozone has it too.

Ignoramus32025

I used to get flex exhaust tubing from JC Whitney - I would expect them to still carry it

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

Thanks for the tip. TZ Whippee does have some rather expensive SS flex tubing and I've tried AutoZone, Napa, Pep Boys, Toys 4 Trucks, several muffler shops with zero results. I may have found some galvanized stuff from, of all places, Amazon.com Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Beware though, that galvanized stuff rusts.

Ignoramus2215

The galvanized stuff is only to be used for a model. Once I get the shape right on all 4 pieces, I'm going to coat them with epoxy and take them to a good muffler shop that can do good pipe bending to match some good pipe with the 4 pieces.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

FWIW

There was a discussion in this group, maybe 4 weeks ago, a guy has a kit with plastic segments intended for exactly what you are doing.

The pieces are close tolerance, you can even use the dims for creating a solid model, which can aid in programming a cnc bender.

Reply to
Jon

Yeah Jon I saw that and checked into it. If I was in the business of making tuned exhausts, it might pay for itself, but for the onesy-twosy not a chance. The parts a pieces that I would need would be way beyond my budget for the entire tuned exhaust system: I'm trying for less than $1200 for the exhaust ready to go. The plastic segments would indeed provide everything I needed but at a lot more than $2,000.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

If its only a model, how about foam pipe insulation taped over 1/2 copper or aluminum tubing?

Reply to
Stupendous Man