bender/scroller

Well, I went to HF today, and got the combination bender on sale for $59, down from $99. The scroller attachment was $29. The regular bender with the pedestal was $159. So, for the extra $100, I will mount this bench mount model it to a pipe sunk into concrete.

Bottom line, for $88, I am in business. Looking forward to setting it up and playing with it. And, of course, selling the items.

Will tell over time how the quality and longevity is. I just want to bend

1/8" stock, maybe 3/16", so it should be adequate.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Are you getting the picket twister to go with it?

Reply to
Jim Newell

Didn't see that. Guess that just makes for another trip over there.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Saw from another post

The reason I mention it, is because it may effect (if you plan to use the picket twister) how you mount the bender you bought.

Reply to
Jim Newell

Thanks. Just strolled out to the "Sanford Yard" as my wife calls it, to look at how I am going to lay things out. The link does not provide a picture, but I will google it up, or find it some way before I spend all that time to dig out a mondo hole for the post on the bender. Your suggestion is a very good one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If you go to that link and click on the download manual button it will show ya all ya need to know. Might even end up welding a handle and bracket to a couple of old 1/2" sockets and having it right out of the junk pile.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Call first. I don't believe the stores stock the picket twister. In fact I searched the

site which is the retail store site and it doesn't even list the picket twister but does list the scroller.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

"Keith Marshall" wrote

Yeah. When I checked, it said information not available or item no longer stocked. I'll see. I need to twist some square bar, and have an idea on how to make a simple twister to do all I want to do.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Most blacksmiths just catch one end of the square bar in a vise and twist the other end with an old school monkey wrench, sometimes with an extension handle welded to the top so it becomes a two-handed wrench. That way you can control the twisting, make it tight or slow. It's real easy if the metal is hot. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Grant Erwin" wrote

Exactly my idea. Or cut eight short lengths of the square stock I want, and stack them around a center piece that I want to twist, and weld them all together, except for the center one. That would make a block with a hole down the center.

There's lots of simple ways to do this.

I am also going to go and get a rem of plate about 3 foot square, and drill and tap holes to put bolts I can do repetitive bends around, and various stops and fences as I figure this out.

Again, this is small stuff, and it won't take much.

STeve

Reply to
Steve B

My cousin had a job for building about 500 linear feet of railing that used twisted bar for the vertical pieces. I think it was 3/4 or 1" square stock. He found an old gearbox tiller and mounted it to a table and ran it with an electric motor. At the other end of this long steel table he mounted a plate with a square hole.

He would turn on the electric motor and it would twist this steel right up. He would then cut it up into the lengths he needed.

He demonstrated this to me and it was effortless he then reversed the motor and it took the twists back out.

He did not heat the metal to do this either.

He bought premade baskets and other decorative pieced to go on them.

Made very nice railing.

Reply to
Bill