Countersink selection

I'd like to replace a burned up countersink. What angle is most useful for general work? 6-flute cobalt sound good?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Single hole, baby! 62 deg?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

82 degrees for UN flat heads, 90 degrees for metric. I prefer the Ford type single flute c'sinks for general use.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

What Ned said. 60 degrees is best for running centers.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Thanks, gentlemen. I ended up getting the hi-alloy HSS M.A. Ford single flute type in each of the 3 angles. Works nicely.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

--The only thing I don't like about single flute countersinks is that they are *very* hard to sharpen. Someone sells a jig to sharpen them but it costs more than a lifetime supply of countersinks..

Reply to
steamer