3D tubing lisp challenge

Let me start this challenge with the statement that "I definitely am not a lsp writer" and this post might be a little long.

In my recent self imposed crusade to find an automated routine to extrude a shape along a path in 3d space using ACAD2004 has come up dry. I have tested and tried over 20 different routines that I have found for extruding and none will pass. I have and use a number of methods to do this "manually" but all are very time consuming and full of places where errors and problems creep in. The most evident thing I found was the vast number of people looking for a similar thing. Personally I want to use it to make formed wire parts & I have seen people looking for same for tubing, drainage pipe, plumbing & wiring. All the lisp routines out on the web that I and others have found don't work on 90% of what I need to do and were written back in the early 90"s. It is a very simple thing to make a "3d poly" and extrude a shape along its length in 3d space as long as there is no radius requirements in the path. A drawn arc can be turned into a lt weight poly but can't be joined to the

3d poly to form a continuous path which stops the ACAD extrusion process.

Here is the basis for the lisp challenge to whom wants to take it on.

(1.) Be able to group pick a series of lines & arcs drawn in free 3d space. (2.) For the lack of better terms "Chain or Join" them into a useable path. (3.) Pick a drawn shape or shapes at one end of this path to be extruded along it. (4.) Extrude this shape or shapes to be a solid so holes or cuts can be subtracted from it.

Good luck and a bunch of people are looking...................

Tks Gene

Reply to
G Holmes

Hi Gene,

  1. Try out my PEDIT3D from
    to join any 3d-line segments (i.e. linear, circular elliptical and splines) to a unique 3d-polyline. But saying the truth: the arcs and splines are divided in short linear segments. You can determine the number of segments.
  2. Did you try the TurboTube-program from a german team in Göttingen? Try it too.
  3. I have a routine to create real arcs (toroidal segments) for the (2-dimensional) circular arcs in the 3d-polyline.
  4. I worte a routine to create eccentric reducers round-to-round and round-to square both in surface and in solid-modelling. In case of interest contact me via
    Regards Jochen

"G Holmes" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:HV9Db.116299$_M.606330@attbi_s54...

Reply to
jochen

Hi Gene, I think the best approach would be:

  1. Draw the 3Dpolyline the routing you want.
  2. Make a routine that 'fillet' the corners. This routine should not add real arcs on the corners, but look-alike arcs consisting of short straight lines in the direction of an arc. In this way the 3dpolyline remains intact. (Also see 3D spiral-routines.)
  3. Extrude your profile along this path.

With lots of time and persistance you can do it!....

Paul

"G Holmes" schreef in bericht news:HV9Db.116299$_M.606330@attbi_s54...

Reply to
PTD

If this is a frequent need, I would think investing in software that would easily do what you want would be a far better option than trying to find a workaround.

Reply to
CW

The purpose of this "challenge" seems to be to avoid the investing part ...

Henrik Vallgren

"CW" skrev i meddelandet news:IsoDb.122320$_M.632685@attbi_s54...

Reply to
Henrik Vallgren

Yes, but there is a point where it is more economical, in the long run, to make the investment. I do what is being requested here all the time though I wouldn't think of doing it with Autocad.

Reply to
CW

I completely agree with you. I'm a software developer ;)

Henrik Vallgren

"CW" skrev i meddelandet news:ZzyDb.364787$Dw6.1202737@attbi_s02...

Reply to
Henrik Vallgren

I guess the main thing I was trying to do is use an existing function that ACAD allready provides at a $$ paid for the initial program. This function will extrude along a "path" problem is the path code is not very flexable. Just wanted some way to make a "good" 3D path for simple jobs.

Reply to
Gene Holmes