3D tubing lisp challenge

Let me start this challenge with the statement that "I definitely am not a lsp writer" and this post might be a little long.
In my recent self imposed crusade to find an automated routine to extrude a shape along a path in 3d space using ACAD2004 has come up dry. I have tested and tried over 20 different routines that I have found for extruding and none will pass. I have and use a number of methods to do this "manually" but all are very time consuming and full of places where errors and problems creep in. The most evident thing I found was the vast number of people looking for a similar thing. Personally I want to use it to make formed wire parts & I have seen people looking for same for tubing, drainage pipe, plumbing & wiring. All the lisp routines out on the web that I and others have found don't work on 90% of what I need to do and were written back in the early 90"s. It is a very simple thing to make a "3d poly" and extrude a shape along its length in 3d space as long as there is no radius requirements in the path. A drawn arc can be turned into a lt weight poly but can't be joined to the 3d poly to form a continuous path which stops the ACAD extrusion process.
Here is the basis for the lisp challenge to whom wants to take it on.
(1.) Be able to group pick a series of lines & arcs drawn in free 3d space. (2.) For the lack of better terms "Chain or Join" them into a useable path. (3.) Pick a drawn shape or shapes at one end of this path to be extruded along it. (4.) Extrude this shape or shapes to be a solid so holes or cuts can be subtracted from it.
Good luck and a bunch of people are looking...................
Tks Gene
Hi Gene, 1. Try out my PEDIT3D from www.black-cad.de to join any 3d-line segments (i.e. linear, circular elliptical and splines) to a unique 3d-polyline. But saying the truth: the arcs and splines are divided in short linear segments. You can determine the number of segments. 2. Did you try the TurboTube-program from a german team in Gttingen? Try it too. 3. I have a routine to create real arcs (toroidal segments) for the (2-dimensional) circular arcs in the 3d-polyline. 4. I worte a routine to create eccentric reducers round-to-round and round-to square both in surface and in solid-modelling. In case of interest contact me via www.black-cad.de Regards Jochen

extruding
"manually"
problems
wire
its
space.
path.
Hi Gene, I think the best approach would be: 1. Draw the 3Dpolyline the routing you want. 2. Make a routine that 'fillet' the corners. This routine should not add real arcs on the corners, but look-alike arcs consisting of short straight lines in the direction of an arc. In this way the 3dpolyline remains intact. (Also see 3D spiral-routines.) 3. Extrude your profile along this path.
With lots of time and persistance you can do it!....
Paul

extruding
"manually"
problems
wire
its
space.
path.
If this is a frequent need, I would think investing in software that would easily do what you want would be a far better option than trying to find a workaround.

extrude
others
in
path.
the
process.
extruded
The purpose of this "challenge" seems to be to avoid the investing part ...
Henrik Vallgren

not
people
formed
back
along
be
Yes, but there is a point where it is more economical, in the long run, to make the investment. I do what is being requested here all the time though I wouldn't think of doing it with Autocad.

I completely agree with you. I'm a software developer ;)
Henrik Vallgren www.stream-space.com

I guess the main thing I was trying to do is use an existing function that ACAD allready provides at a $$ paid for the initial program. This function will extrude along a "path" problem is the path code is not very flexable. Just wanted some way to make a "good" 3D path for simple jobs.

not
people
formed
back