What is it? Set 423

On 1/13/12 5:43 PM, Leon wrote:

I wonder if it was designed for making ice? Each trough might make 1500 pounds per night. The season would be longer and the harvesting easier than with a pond.
In addition to preventing freeze damage, the sloped sides could allow extraction. The farmer would probably line the concrete with something smooth and slick. He'd lay a chain across the bottom near each end. He'd fill the trough with water and when it froze, jack up the block at each end with the chains, rest it on boards across the trough, and break it with a chisel.

Sounds like that would work, though I guess at this point it would be difficult to prove this theory, the owner had been told it was a horse trough when he bought it but I'm always open to other ideas if there is evidence for them.
On 1/13/12 7:36 PM, Rob H. wrote:

So far I haven't found concrete ice forms, but here are instructions to make ice in iron pans. http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devices10a.html
They're from Ralph Cobleigh's "Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them," copyright 1909. Natural ice was still a valuable product. What a farmer couldn't use, he could sell.
It seems to me that depending on the temperature, it could take blocks a long time to freeze solid in pans 12" deep on a wooden table. The farmer might end up storing blocks that were liquid in the center. If there's frost in the ground, water 3" deep in a concrete trough should freeze solid much more reliably overnight. If it's not frozen solid when the farmer hoists and breaks it, he can drop it and let it finish freezing.
Hydraulic cement was first made in America in 1818. Use expanded after the Civil War.

I think the idea is that the hole would be normally plugged and then they would unplug it for draining before adding fresh water.

Ok, I'll add your name to the growing list of those who don't believe it's a horse trough. ;-)
With no big surprise, I get zero of six.
No worries, it's all good.
Four of the six were correctly identified this week, the answers can be seen at this address:
Rob

a belt buckle, open:
http://www.wackel3d.de/offtopic/bk/2012_01_13_6692.JPG
closed:
http://www.wackel3d.de/offtopic/bk/2012_01_13_6694.JPG
Greetings from germany Chris
Christian Stben wrote the following:

Anyone not on broadband would probably watch those pics load until tomorrow. 5616 x 3744 ?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 1/13/2012 7:54 AM, willshak wrote:

who is not on broadband?
--
Steve Barker
2453 - River Side Manufacturing Co., in Murfreesboro, NC, is a basket making company. It would seem to be a tool for weaving baskets. If it has a specific weaving use, I wouldn't know what that is.

You're on the right track, they aren't for weaving though they are basket related.
Plenty of people live in areas where high speed is not available.

who is not on broadband?
--
Steve Barker
wrote in message

me

    And it appears that your end was imposing bandwidth limitations on it -- because it took me a lot longer than I expected with a T1 feed to download each.
    Aside from that -- you're releasing lots of information about your camera by posting an un-edited photo. Here is some of what is in the exif data on one of those photos:
=====================================================================File Name : 2012_01_13_6694.JPG Directory : . File Size : 8 MB File Modification Date/Time : 2012:01:13 03:19:21 File Type : JPEG MIME Type : image/jpeg Make : Canon Camera Model Name : Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    [ ... ]
Software : Digital Photo Professional Modify Date : 2012:01:13 09:12:00 Artist : Photographer:Christian Stueben Y Cb Cr Positioning : Centered Copyright : Copyright:Christian Stueben Exposure Time : 1/25 F Number : 6.3 ISO : 6400
    [ ... ]
Shutter Speed Value : 1/25 Aperture Value : 6.4 Flash : Off Focal Length : 100.0mm Macro Mode : Normal
    [ ... ]
Canon Firmware Version : Firmware Version 2.1.1
    [ ... ]
Owner Name : Christian Stueben Camera Body No. : 2031303238 Canon Model ID : Unknown (0x80000218) Serial Number Format : Format 2
    [ ... ]
Lens Type : EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Internal Serial Number : N666965
    [ ... ]
Primary Platform : Microsoft Corporation ===================================================================== These, selected out of 206 total lines.
    One of the lines mentioned Microsoft in there, so perhaps you did edit it, but not using a program which would remove the original exif data. It looks as though it was modified about six hours after it was taken, which implies some out-of-camera processing.
    In particular, the mention of the camera and lens serial numbers might make it easier for someone to claim that you have stolen their camera -- or to find it if it happened that you had stolen the camera from someone else -- which I don't expect.
    So -- the use of a program which can be told to sanitize the exif data might be a good idea. Whether your program can be told to do that, or whether you need another program for that, I don't know. I actually have to take special steps to keep the exif data in the processed image.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

FWIW, 52 seconds for me for the 8 MB file.
For screen viewing, reducing it to 500 kB still gives maximum screen resolution at full-screen size.
--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress wrote:
(...)

And cropping out the incompressible background mat reduced the file size to < 3 MB without reducing the resolution of the main subject. (Why do people insist on 'interesting' looking backgrounds?).
--Winston

Hey Mr. Imnotamused, i already have reduced them to 8 mb each.
mfg Chris
okok, you are right. Next time smaller pics.
On 1/13/2012 3:07 PM, Christian Stben wrote:

The number you are looking for is in the 250kb range.
Herman will be disappointed.
Lilly wanted the upstairs painted.

Correct, it's a horse trough
On 1/12/2012 5:12 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I would not be so sure unless you have actually seen it, seems a horse trough would be much larger and deeper and taller. This thing really only looks to be 12" wide and about 6 inches tall if in fact it is 6' long. Looks more like a tray to catch water from a down spout on the side of a house. The grass, twigs, and leaves make this thing look relatively small.

A horse will crink from a shallow, six inch diameter bowl as long as the water keeps coming in.