What is it? Set 423

I think the idea is that the hole would be normally plugged and then they would unplug it for draining before adding fresh water.

Ok, I'll add your name to the growing list of those who don't believe it's a horse trough. ;-)

Reply to
Rob H.

Sounds like that would work, though I guess at this point it would be difficult to prove this theory, the owner had been told it was a horse trough when he bought it but I'm always open to other ideas if there is evidence for them.

Reply to
Rob H.

A horse will crink from a shallow, six inch diameter bowl as long as the water keeps coming in.

Reply to
grmiller

So far I haven't found concrete ice forms, but here are instructions to make ice in iron pans.

They're from Ralph Cobleigh's "Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them," copyright 1909. Natural ice was still a valuable product. What a farmer couldn't use, he could sell.

It seems to me that depending on the temperature, it could take blocks a long time to freeze solid in pans 12" deep on a wooden table. The farmer might end up storing blocks that were liquid in the center. If there's frost in the ground, water 3" deep in a concrete trough should freeze solid much more reliably overnight. If it's not frozen solid when the farmer hoists and breaks it, he can drop it and let it finish freezing.

Hydraulic cement was first made in America in 1818. Use expanded after the Civil War.

Reply to
J Burns

And it appears that your end was imposing bandwidth limitations on it -- because it took me a lot longer than I expected with a T1 feed to download each.

Aside from that -- you're releasing lots of information about your camera by posting an un-edited photo. Here is some of what is in the exif data on one of those photos:

====================================================================== File Name : 2012_01_13_6694.JPG Directory : . File Size : 8 MB File Modification Date/Time : 2012:01:13 03:19:21 File Type : JPEG MIME Type : image/jpeg Make : Canon Camera Model Name : Canon EOS 5D Mark II

[ ... ]

Software : Digital Photo Professional Modify Date : 2012:01:13 09:12:00 Artist : Photographer:Christian Stueben Y Cb Cr Positioning : Centered Copyright : Copyright:Christian Stueben Exposure Time : 1/25 F Number : 6.3 ISO : 6400

[ ... ]

Shutter Speed Value : 1/25 Aperture Value : 6.4 Flash : Off Focal Length : 100.0mm Macro Mode : Normal

[ ... ]

Canon Firmware Version : Firmware Version 2.1.1

[ ... ]

Owner Name : Christian Stueben Camera Body No. : 2031303238 Canon Model ID : Unknown (0x80000218) Serial Number Format : Format 2

[ ... ]

Lens Type : EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Internal Serial Number : N666965

[ ... ]

Primary Platform : Microsoft Corporation ======================================================================

These, selected out of 206 total lines.

One of the lines mentioned Microsoft in there, so perhaps you did edit it, but not using a program which would remove the original exif data. It looks as though it was modified about six hours after it was taken, which implies some out-of-camera processing.

In particular, the mention of the camera and lens serial numbers might make it easier for someone to claim that you have stolen their camera -- or to find it if it happened that you had stolen the camera from someone else -- which I don't expect.

So -- the use of a program which can be told to sanitize the exif data might be a good idea. Whether your program can be told to do that, or whether you need another program for that, I don't know. I actually have to take special steps to keep the exif data in the processed image.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

FWIW, 52 seconds for me for the 8 MB file.

For screen viewing, reducing it to 500 kB still gives maximum screen resolution at full-screen size.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

And cropping out the incompressible background mat reduced the file size to < 3 MB without reducing the resolution of the main subject. (Why do people insist on 'interesting' looking backgrounds?).

--Winston

Reply to
Winston