Toolmakers Microscope

I have just bought myself a toolmakers microscope, and it needs a small amout of work on it. The round glass section in the middle of the stage has been lost or broken ad I want to replace it. A quick glance on ebay revealed an optics supplier who sells replacement glass for microscopes, but should it be plain glass or diffused. I'm thiking plain, from other ones I've seen but would like to know for certain before I order one. it is a Leitz microscope.

thanks Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

In article , Kevin writes

Well mine (an OMT) has a plain glass insert. It is probably even more indicative that there are two spare inserts, and both of these are clear as well.

For the best image quality in high power light microscopy, it is vital to have a sharp image of the illuminator in the back focal plane (so called "Kohler illumination"). In a fairly undemanding low power use such as a toolmaker's microscope it is probably less important, and I think you could get away quite well with a diffused glass if this happens to be more readily available.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood