Honda Generators

Hey, Honda generators need gas, too!

Christ>

Then store it in your living room, until you need it? Y2K madness all over again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In 1973, I was riding my bicycle to school. Didn't have a Honda generator, either.

Christ>

How many did you have in 1973?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmmm, I think you'll find that marble is technically a type of troll, which moron certainly is.

Reply to
terryc

The Damn Yankees are the ones who are casually driving, and wondering what's the big problem anyway?

.

We had The Blizzard of 1993 which paralyzed Birmingham and surrounding area to an incredible degree(no pun). It would have been a minor inconvenience for a Northern city but what hit us was way outside our experience with snowfall. We could swap them dang Yankees a few tornadoes for a couple of blizzards. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In PRNY, I've seen zero schools with backup generators. But, then, I've not been near a school in a while.

.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left. That's different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school without a large power plant in over 25 years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was listening to the AM radio out of Rochester, NY during Hurricane Katrena. The Rochester, NY fire department had a boat to send, to help out. Aparently, FEMA heard of this, and called them to tell them not to come.

I've heard plenty of other moments when FEMA prevented rescuers from rescuing. I suspect they are the "Department of NO".

.

Do you have any idea how long the state of Florida is, and how many tanker loads of gasoline it takes to evacutate an area? FEMA stopped gasoline deliveries to Florida in the last round of huricanes that hit this area. They were sitting along I 75, across the state border.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I actually had to dig my car out of a snowbank, something you don't see down South except in times of Global Warming. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Oddly, due to climate change, PRNY had nearly no slow last season. I'm OK with that.

Sorry you had to dig out. That's no fun.

.

I actually had to dig my car out of a snowbank, something you don't see down South except in times of Global Warming. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They find out right quick. Driving in New England after a snowstorm isn't much of a problem--the plows make a pass through the major roads and get some sand down very quickly. Without the plows we get stuck or go slipsliding away just like Southern folks. A snowstorm in Atlanta is a different experience from one in Ohio. I never had to put the chains on in Ohio or in Connecticut, but I did once in Atlanta.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Maybe in CT, but not in real New England. Sand is for sissies and enviro-weenies. In the cold country they use straight salt or nothing.

Nonsense. You've obviously never lived in the South.

The problem with the South, Altanta in particular, are the drivers; both in number and preparedness. ...and they really don't know how to drive in bad weather; fast and brake-happy.

Reply to
krw

Girl next door to me actually lost hers. I came out one day and she's wandering up and down the street looking puzzled. I asked her what was up and she told me she was looking for her car, (a brand new Cosworth Vega). After looking for a while we concluded that it had been stolen. She called the cops, they opened a case, came out and took statements, she reported it to her insurance, they paid off, she got a new car (I forget what--it wasn't a Cosworth Vega though). Come spring this immense snowbank melted and there it was.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That depends on where you are. Some areas have never provided backup power at their schools.

Reply to
news

Put a team of engineers in charge of FEMA, not horse show organizers. Personally, I would have regional warehouses under contract with suppliers of critical materials. They would have to maintain minimum levels of supplies, but they would sell the oldest inventory to their customers, and new inventory would replace the FEMA stock. They would be liable for any losses, and the sites physically inspected every three months. For instance: A one year supply of wood power poles in hurricane & tornado areas that the first truck can be loaded & on their way in a under an hour. Enough spare aerial power cable, splicing hardware, insulators & fuses to completely rebuild a medium size town.

Instead of RV type temporary housing, use converted 20' shipping containers that can be stacked & stored if not needed. Use Federal prison labor to do the conversions. They could be stored on military bases, so they wouldn't have to pay rent to park trailers. There are thousands of obvious ways to reduce response time, and costs, yet provide what people need. Why truck ice cross country, when they could pull a portable ice plant into an area, and make it on site? Tow a generator behind a fuel truck to power it, if no local power is available.

Require all new gas stations to have a transfer switch, whether they have a generator, or not. That way a portable can be brought in to access the tanks without rewiring the place for temporary power. KRW was whining about making sure every station along a highway had full tanks. A lot of them around here did, but couldn't pump it because their electric was out. The county used a portable generator to get the fuel for the horde of bucket trucks that were replacing poles, and restringing damaged wire. The stations were paid with an agreement to replace it with fresh gasoline as soon as it was available. This was done, because FEMA wouldn't let any tankers of gasoline to cross the state border.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That would be a VERY stupid and truly Damned Yankee.

The smart ones will be off the road as soon as possible. I got caught in one near Cincinnati in the '70s. They were advising you to find a motel, and get off the road but they were all full, and the parking lots were blocked by snow, so I had to get all the way home. A

30 mile drive that took over seven hours and used a full tank of gas. It was a good thing that I had filled up my truck on the way to work that day. You could see less than 1/10 mile, yet some idiots driving 18 wheelers were hauling ass and blowing cars & small trucks off I-75. One flew past me and my truck spun two full turns and almost rolled sideways.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You need to check your reading comprehension, Michael. I said nothing of the kind.

Reply to
krw

Driving in inclement weather when there are Rebs on the road? you betcha!

Reply to
krw

Part of his probation agreement, probably...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Oh?

I routinely carry a short-barreled 20-Gauge shotgun and a pistol in my truck. In the event of SHingTF, more armament and ammunition won't take up much room.

Usually, he who can put the most metal in the air, wins.

Reply to
HeyBub

snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup generator and fuel supply? maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

If power goes out,they just send the kids home. that's what happened to me back in the 1960's,in junior high.

OTOH,I went past a local Publix supermarket that had a semi-truck/trailer portable generator supplying power while repairs were being made to something. It seems there's a private company here in Orlando that offers that service. I imagine FEMA and local state emergency departments have similar systems.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

When I'm elected POTUS, I'm making you my FEMA director.

.