Honda Generators

Someone else mentioned they might need the school as a public shelter. Which makes sense.

The one time there was a daytime power cut, during church services, they cancelled and sent everyone home. We had a baptism scheduled that evening. But, only cold water with the power out. That got delayed.

.

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup generator and fuel supply? maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

If power goes out,they just send the kids home. that's what happened to me back in the 1960's,in junior high.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Like I said in another message, FLORIDA'S newer schools are built as hurricane shelters. Local residents have first choice at staying in one, while travelers have to take their chances. If someone gets stuck somewhere in a motor home because they can't find fuel, chances are that there will be no place to stay.

The school closest to me has had to use theirs several times when the feed to the school was damaged. They can't afford the liability to send them to empty homes. So, they might as well run the generator and keep teaching even if the air conditioning isn't working.

That was 50 years ago, when the buildings were designed for high humidity, and sitting empty all summer. hell, your local news was talking about portable buildings at one Orlando school spending $50,000 a month to air condition them, until they could be moved. If they aren't air conditioned, they will develop black mold. The ceiling tiles will buckle, and the wood trim will warp.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ouch! Lol....

Reply to
G. Morgan

I didn't see an air conditioned classroom until I attended college. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Kind of hard to use a school as an emergency shelter without power.

Some states do have those resources, BUT try to get them when you need them. As for FEMA they can kiss my a$$. I have yet to see a single thing they have been involved in that actually works as planned. Plus they have some really STUPID ideas about how to handle real emergencies.

Reply to
Steve W.

My high school's newest addition was finished in the mid '60s when A/C wasn't common. There is a chat room for that school, and some of the crybabies were whining about 80 degree classrooms when the A/C failed. I gave links and described the conditions after that tornado hit the same building, and that we didn't even have lights, let alone A/C. What was my Jr. High school is now an elementary school, and is surrounded by air conditioning equipment that it didn't have in the '60s.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Drivivng south on I-75 in early Feb. 1996 we entered Georgia and saw, northbound the state snow clearing fleet - two road graders and an actual one way snow plow.

Reply to
grmiller

Back in the 50's at The Catholic Parochial Gulag, I can remember sitting in the classroom of Sister Godzilla and looking at the high ceilings and transom windows into the hallway and the big steel swing out windows that let a breeze blow through in hot weather, if we were lucky. There were also the hissing radiators for heat in the winter months. Hanging from the ceiling were the standard milk white glass globes housing those big 150 watt clear light bulbs. My encounter with air conditioning was when the whole school was bussed to see a movie in an air conditioned movie theater. Funny the things you remember. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

One of the schools I went to was built in the late 1800s, had a bad fire during W.W. I and was pieced back together with available materials. Some of the floors were still in bad shape in the '60s. It had the same high ceilings & lights, that had replaced the kerosene lights. All the wiring was in EMT, run over the concrete walls with handy boxes mounted on the walls where they were easy to run into. This was a public school, one of the oldest in the county. Like most of the older schools, it had a new wing added in the late '50s or early '60s, still before A/C was common.

That school still had an Operadio intercom system, which later became Dukane. Operadio was pained black wrinkle, while Dukane used NEMA gray smooth enamel. Both used the same model & part numbers. Big, bulky steel racks with lots of single pair shielded cable. The early, unjacketed stuff that would rip the skin off your hands and stiff as a board because of the cloth insulation on the inner conductors.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Cover, rooms, comms facilities and similar stuff.

More the stove and oter cooking ppliances for catering for displaced persons.

most schools have that combination of available space both indoor and outdoor for co-ordinating and providng rescue and recovery services to compliment the emergency services depts.

Reply to
terryc

And tubes, lots of tubes. Don't you just love that old stuff? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster Corps. Young people who didn't care for the military could join The NDC and get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed not with a gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but with heavy equipment. The corps could be organized like the military and even work with the military for transportation and basing. Heck, there are empty bases all over the place they could work out of. I would imagine that The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of the world than the military in times of disaster. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I made my living off it for several decades. A 6GH8A retailed for $3.95 through most of the '70s. I bought them by the box of 100 for 39 cents each, on sale. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Combine that with the old CCC & WPA and you might have something. They would have enough work to stay busy, while they learned the needed skills to help in emergencies.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The Daring Dufas on Mon, 06 Aug

2012 23:17:20 -0500 typed in alt.survival the following:

We called them Labor Battalions in the old country. Actually, it was called Reichsarbeitsdienst - Imperial Labor Service. In the US it was the Civilian Conservation Corps, back in the New Deal. In both cases, if not run by the Army, along the Army lines. In theory, wasn't Ameri-Corps suppose to do something like this?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I wonder about availability now, perhaps Russian or Chinese suppliers? O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I don't know, I simply thought about all the disasters that seem to be going on around the country and the world, perhaps young folks and even folks who would like to serve the country but can't serve in the armed forces because of some disability could do something like administrative work in the NDC. Even retired folks could join up and train the youngsters in the areas they know. Think of it as an army that puts things back together instead of blowing things up. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas on Tue, 07 Aug

2012 01:56:19 -0500 typed >> The Daring Dufas on Mon, 06 Aug

Good idea. I think there would need to be some serious shifting of paradigms first. But it is now almost three enthroning. I'm zonked.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message news:jvqe6d$bor$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

What would they do that contractors with heavy equipment couldn't do better and faster? There isn't much call for axe or shovel work any more, and inexperienced amateur administrators would be worse than FEMA.

What does the National Guard do when they are called out? I haven't seen them at work because the local administration has always been adequate. The dump trucks and bucket loaders needed to clear snow can handle most other infrastructure damage too.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Why the f*ck do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Reply to
Thomas