Why is it that...? (Ebay moan but not O/T!)

Why is it that every cheap/rare/desirable engine on Ebay is in a part of the country that I'm not?!

Being new to the hobby (though I've watched and admired from the other side of the boundary ropes for many years) I would like very much to acquire one (or possibly two!) nice little engines to tinker with -- one running and one as an easy restore would be great. Not much wrong with that?

Well, we're outside the rally season so no-one selling in any obvious places other than Ebay and everything I spot is frustratingly across the country somewhere or else in Scotland -- I'm in Norfolk.Grrrr!

Can any kind person here point me to any event/location/potential seller with a reasonably priced (I'm a family man) Lister D, Petter, Villiers, Jap or some such that I can collect without having to drive

1000 miles?!

Sorry, moan over.

Great group, lots of interest to read. Thank you.

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry... You should have gone to cheffins auction in Cambridge, we had to travel 3 1/2 hours from cheshire there is allways plenty to have a chomp at on offer.

Rgds bob

Reply to
Bob

Jerry,

May we see you at Enstone on the 11 Nov,

Reply to
campingstoveman

Actually Martin, a bring and buy is rather tempting and likely to disgorge an engine or two suited to my level of knowledge/depth of pocket but even Enstone is a 300mile-plus round trip from Norwich (according to the RAC routefinder site). Whinge, whinge.

Still if I can get a special dispensation from the boss or else bring along a child or two I might make it.

As for Cheffins, Bob, I confess I was/am ignorant as to the auction. I think a subscription to Stationary Engine magazine might be on my Christmas list...

As an aside, do many engines change hands at rallies? I've seen lots in the various places I've lived over the years (one of my favourites was the Adur festival when I lived in Sussex, and of course Amberley) but rarely seen 'em for sale. Is a discreet approach required, casually waving fivers, or is it generally the case that hardware for sale is clearly signed?

Do others here acquire their engines via contacts in clubs, friends of friends and so on, or are we all searching Ebay in every quiet moment?

camp> Jerry,

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry... They have a website

which you can check for dates and catalouges I think the next is in spring sometime, undoubtbly the best way to get engines and information is to come to the rallys and speak to people there is usally some one who brings an extra lump they might be getting rid of.

Regards bob

Reply to
Bob

I know what Jerry means, coming from the same side of the country but it is possible. I've just bought two engines from eBay, both within an hours drive. Patience is the key.

Reply to
mark.howard10

I assume you're hooked up to Gazes, Keys, Durrants etc ?

Most of their catalogues are on-line these days, and searchable.

I see various engines come though Gazes (I live in Diss)

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear