Is the LaGard ComboGard 33E I have for sale not in demand?

I've been trying to sell a new LaGard ComboGard 33E Model 3040 Lock and thought I was offering a really good price but there doesn't seem to be any interest in it.

LaGard's site shows it to be worth about $200 and I put it on ebay for $65 but no takers.

I don't a lot about them being a residential locksmith so would appreciate someone telling me what it's really worth or why nobody seems to want it. I'm really curious now!

It's currently on ebay for $50 (item #6180434210) with a picture and all the detail.

Maybe someone here will be interested.

Thanks,

Ted

Reply to
Ted Swirsky

Personally, I wouldn't buy any electronic safe lock from a source I don't now. Too many warrantee issues.

If I buy it from my distributor who got it from the manufacturer, and there's a problem three months down the road, I'm covered.

Now Ted, you could be a great guy for all I know, but if I but that 33E from you and it takes a crap in three months (not typical for LaGards but it could happen) are you going to replace it PLUS pay me $350 to open the safe plus repairs?

The general public might buy one off of ebay but, doubt many pros would. It's just not worth the risk.

OTOH, if you were a member of Clearstar or IL and people got to know you, you might have some luck selling it there.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Bob -

Could you please let the group know of a supplier of LaGards which will not only honor the warrantee directly (rather than refer the buyer to the factory), pay the buyer his service fee of $350 to open the box, and pay for repairs top the box?

I am curious, however, about the notation on the e-bay auction that this seller is blocked from accepting payments via credit card, and can only be paid by bank account debit or pre-existing PayPal credit.

Reply to
rob

lets see.. I been doing this since 89 now.. and do NOT take credit cards.. since then, let me think-I have 'lost' 6? under $25 sales DUE TO THAT?

not everyone needs the ability to totally accept cards..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I am fairly sure that the CC companies take a piece of the action -- bank account transfer doesn't cost the seller a percentage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's not the supplier that honors the warrantee. It's the manufacturer. The supplier (distributor) acts as the go-between or "facilitator".

While I can't give you a first hand account of how it works with LaGard (although I would assume that they would handle it similarly), I can tell you how it's handled with S&G.

Example: I replaced a 6120 (mounted VD - what WERE they thinking?!) on a Gardall for a restaurant. The replacement started eating batteries after about 3 months. Since the safe was able to be opened, the distributor (Clark) sent me a new 6120 (and billed my account) and an ARS label for the defective one. After S&G got the lock back and it was found to be defective, Clark credited my account for the replacement.

About three or four months later, the replacement failed (different problem - resulting in a lock out) I called S&G and described the problem. Also told them that while I ate the S/C and labor on the first one, I thought I should be paid for this trip and the opening. They said that they would pay a "reasonable" opening fee and my trip charge. It told them I'd knock 10% off the opening.

I called Clark. They sent a new lock (billed my account) and an ARS label. Once S&G got the lock back and determined that it was defective, Clark credited me for the lock and S&G (after a "reminder" phone call) mailed me a check for the S/C, opening and labor to replace. Can't ask for better than that!

Now, like I say, I've never had the situation come up with LaGard, but I would assume that they (being the reputable company that they are) would handle it in a similar fashion.

BTW - ALWAYS get authorization from the manufacturer FIRST if you want to be reimbursed for the opening. They do have the option of sending out a tech of their choice for warrantee work if they consider your fee too high.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

My question about "blocked from credit card" was really more about Palpal than the seller. Paypal acts as an intermediary, takes a fee, and charges the credit cards - the recipient does not need to "accept credit cards" in order to accept them via PayPal (in fact, that is one of the big attractions of PayPal). This is why I was very curious about a PayPal seller being banned from taking credit cards via PayPal.

Reply to
rob

I really wouldn't anything know about that. I was just responding to your warrantee inquiry.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

well, who set that? the seller OR Paypal?

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Some of us don't buy from eBayers who don't accept PayPal. (Whether we pay with PayPal or not is a separate question.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

I posted the original message about the LaGard 33E Combogard lock. Sorry for the delay and I hope you can still read the original posts if you are interested. I had PC troubles and couldn't post for a while.

To answer all the assorted questions my post generated. I know several points have been bantered back and forth so some of the things I say here will be redundant but I wanted to mention these points myself.

By the way, I have this lock on ebay again (one more time!) for only $9.00 plus S&H. I want it off my shelf since I won't be using it. The auction ends about 6/30/2005 and the item number is 6189352328.

I do not accept credit cards for my ebay sales because I sell very few things on ebay and make very little on most of them. I don't want to pay an additional fee for taking credit card payments. Right now, I only pay ebay their cut and that's it.

I don't think Joe Kesselman noticed that I DO accept paypal (just not credit cards) so this shouldn't be a problem. I also trust that my 100% perfect selling rating counts for something. You can also look up my business name and number on the web or in phone books or give me a call to verify I am a real business for what it's worth to you. Just email me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com for more info.

I don't take credit cards for my lock business either and have not had a problem or lost business (that I know of) for twenty years.

Bob DeWeese mentioned warranties. No, I can't do that, but, like I said, this lock is brand new, from a good source and it's a small chance that the buyer must be willing to take. Bigger, more delicate things have been purchased on ebay and it's sometimes worth it if the price is right.

Nobody was BLOCKED from anything. It is MY choice not to accept credit card payments from paypal because I don't want to pay for the privilege.

I hope that answered and cleared up all the questions.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Swirsky