Looking for work

We are looking for work doing contract drafting, AutoCAD, AutoDesk. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Robert Groeneveld wrote:

Have you contacted local companies?
Do you have a website?
I don't do work on my own, anymore, just because of personal preference, but that's probably the two big things I'd start with. If you have a website, you can call/write local companies do BRIEFLY introduce yourself and direct them to your website for more information.
.....just my $0.02. (Keep in mind that I've never relied on that type of work to feed my family. I've always worked full-time, for companies, which I prefer.)

you'd pretty much have to be "married" to at least one solid customer to get an full-time independent business going IMO.
I know several independent guys & they all have an engineer or architect that "feed" them all the work they handle, along with whatever they can drum up on their own. good luck
Rob
That ain't necessarily so Rob, and you're better off it ain't. I would recommend against making any one client too important, no matter how nice the guy.
If you are a known quantity in some market I would start there with my contacts-ALL OF THEM. I use people now and again, but only ones who's skill and character are known to me. The thought of pinning my reputation on the work of some virtual person at a distance would be too much to bear.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

skill
I agree, not too long ago a client of mine asked me to start doing a bigger part of his projects and I tactfully turned him down. About 20% of my workload currently comes from him and if I took on the additional work it would more than double, which means I'd be getting a lot of my work from one client (which also means less time with other clients).
It's OK to have some clients that are a bigger part of your workload than others, but IMO it's not a good idea to let any one client get too big. When first starting out it would be more acceptable, because in the beginning you might have to take any work you can get, but as you establish yourself you'll need to be much more selective of which projects you will and won't take.
Michael (LS)

get
drum
When I quit my job to start my business I had no clients (I had one project to finish up for my previous firm but once those 2 weeks were done that was it). I started by letting telling everyone I knew that I was going freelance. I got a couple of jobs here and there from people I know in the industry (architects, builders, other drafting company). Fromt there my name was passed around and I started having clients who I didn't know call me saying "so & so recommended you". One of my best clients got my name from an architect firm that to this day nobody can figure out how they'd heard of me. I'd never met anyone at that firm, I'd never had any contact with anyone with that firm. The builder had been using them for years to draw up his jobs and one time that couldn't meet his turnaround timeframe. They told him to call me to see if I could do it in time. He called, I did it, he never went back. I get ~20 jobs/year from that builder plus he's referred me to 2 other builders (which combined = ~30 jobs/year). So I get ~50 jobs/year and don't even know how it started!!!!
Anyway, back to the topic.... Some more information would help give you more specific advice: 1. What field are you looking for work in? What types of projects? 2. What field do you have experience in? 3. Do you know many people in your field? 4. What services are you prepared to offer? Which ones won't you offer? 5. Why would someone hire you versus doing it the way they currently do? (this question doesn't need to be answered to get advice, but it's VERY important to know the answer to help steer your marketing)
Michael (LS)

get
Isn't it funny how it happens?
I can trace most jobs I've had back to one referral of a mechanical engineer who knew me to another guy who didn't and never ended up using me, but referred me to someone else and from there...like a chain letter.
If you stand it on end it looks like a tree, not a bush. (the question marks are fruit)
___--------? /__ L--------? / _ A****** <------- ? ____? / \_____? / / _----T****------<------? / ___? / \-----? / __? / / / _/ /-------A*****-----< ---Gene----D*******-----R*****< ----I*****----<-----? \ (my hero) \ \-----D****-----? \____? \ ------S******-------?
There are other shoots in the whole picture, but I would still be in business with just the above network.
To the OP, always do your best, be patient, and watch what happens.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

It's one of those fancy architecturaol trees ( He He )
An Engineer !
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:09:59 -0500, "Michael Bulatovich"

Hehe...It's like that old cartoon about the swing someone wanted and all the different versions of it.... This wouldn't surprise me as a suggestion from some of my "colleagues" for a tree. These days, to get press you have to be outrageous.

\_____?
___?
\
Never underestimate the time and effort needed to win clients.
What too many people forget is that most companies already have somebody doing the work you are after, the work is not just sitting there waiting for you.
So you have get out there and sell yourself.
Web site Mail shots Phone calls
But don't go crazy straight off. If you make a mess of your first approach because of inexperience .. and you made that pitch to every prospective client... you will be stacking shelves in the local store in no time. Here in the UK most guys go freelance through an agency first.. then expand to become a drafting company later.

and
SUGGESTION. Best stay out of the oil business in looking for a job. I make oilfield maps for a living and it is DEAD.

and
What kind of annual money can be made from a freelance CADD company in terms of US dollars these days? I'm gainfully employed in the ailing Telecommunications industry, and believe it or not, I have current financial commitments and a family with obligations. So I'm not just farting around, I'm serious in my investigations.
I'm considering getting back into CADD after a 6 year break from it, I've worked with Intergraph/Microstation and AutoCAD for 14 years starting professionally in '83. I am now starting to looking into hardware, software and other misc. prices to start a one man shop, that will offer more than one discipline, perhaps Civil and Structural, maybe in addition, Facilities Management. I'd like to specialize in working with CADD and a Database designed in the backend. A web interface to boot would be nice, but I think that tends to suggest a GIS type thing, but there could be other DB backend and CADD input fields.
Any insight, advice, stern words of warning, etc... is most appreciated.
Thanks, John
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:26:40 -0600, "C. G. Haley"

IMO, you'd be dreaming to think you could support your family off free lance at first. I think you'd need to start it part time for a few years , pick up contacts & customers , ect... if you would come across someone that could guarantee like 20 hours worth of work a week, you might be able to swing it .
--
JMO
Rob

Perhaps I should have not said freelance, but as a full service business. Then what do you think the chances are?

If you take a step back, you'll realize that, at best, this is a very naive question. If you are the top gun in your market and everybody knows it, that's one thing. If you are a unknown, unconnected and dim bulb, that's another.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

naive
Comments spliced in below....
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 18:18:07 -0500, "Michael Bulatovich"

That sounds a bit diffuse. See the other Michael's sage comments.