Looking for work

Great advice!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

That sounds a bit diffuse. See the other Michael's sage comments.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

John,

This post struck me as very telling. You're getting what I'm going to say from others, but thought it might be helpful if one more concurred.

Let me start by saying that if you're aware of a needed service that you can provide, success is quite possible, if not likely. The problem is that this assumes that you KNOW the business you're entering and are good at providing this service. I'm not suggesting you are not, simply that you need to be honest with yourself about assessing your own capabilities.

You say you're a client/server database professional, and I don't doubt you. As a CAD professional who dabbles in client/server databases, I would never consider going into business doing client/server databases. (I've been in the civil field for just shy of 15 years, from draftsman to designer.) I wouldn't consider doing architectural drafting work, either. I'm sure I could do it, but it's not what I KNOW. If I took on architectural work, I'm likely to get myself into jobs that I either couldn't handle, could not do very well or simply be beaten by my competition. I consider myself a very competent Acad draftsman/designer, but not of buildings or mechanical components, etc.

Bottom line, to me, is this: Do you know what you're getting into, and can you provide the services of a quality necessary to be successful? If so, and the service is needed, then you should do fine. If you're biting off more than you can you chew, you might find yourself in big trouble, really quick.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors. If you're good and honest, I'm sure you do well. ;)

Reply to
TomD

Reply to
John Quinn