Dyna-Myte 2800C info needed

Our prototype lab has a Dyna-Myte 2800C (CNC vertical mill) collecting dust, we need to figure out what to do with it. Best info we have is that it was built in early 90's, aquired used in mid 90's, has been used for an ocasional project every other year or so. Spindle speed is up near 10k, work surface is pretty small. Looks like it would do great on things like PC boards and the like. It was used ("exercised") last year, ran nicely. Comes with a box full of tool holders (BT-29?)

The big gripe is that it programs in a conversational mode that is non standard and somewhat cumbersome. We have a Haas VF-0 that uses G code generated by FeatureCam. We are down to the point where we would like to stanardize. If it isn't in G code, it's outa here.

Three big questions (fill in details as required!!)

1)Is there anything this machine does so well that we should keep it if we have the Haas doing it's job?

2) Is there a controller upgrade out there? We have plenty of PC computers and expertice around, we just need a good starting point.

3) If we were to sell it, what kind of money would it be worth? We would be OK with putting it up on e-bay but I need a starting point to get the approvals. Location is St. Paul, Minnesota.

I can post some pictures and give an unmunged e-mail address if someone has a special interest.

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
RoyJ

Could you hire a kid to write a conversion program to accept G-code and output programming commands?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
RoyJ

Roy,

Better make room and pay someone (me!) to haul it away! :)

Fact is it can be converted to run off a PC using G-code or DXF files. But it takes time and money to figure out the way to go; hence it is more suited for the serious hobbyist.

Can you list the X Y Z traverse lengths?

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

XYZ is 8"x6"x7" high speed spindle, machine is tight. Pretty much tells you what kind of parts it likes. It would great for the guy making and/or selling steam engine kits. For the hobbyist, the machine is complete with tooling and working software.

What I'm wondering about is what kind of PC software is out there. I suspect (would like to have it confirmed) is that the I/F should be straight forward. Drive cards and servos are already there.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

My first though would be to use EMC and Linux. see

about 100,000 more

Interface options

a whol bunch more

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I seem to think that Ah Ha has a retrofit for that mill.

If you look into it, you will probably find your dyna does not have servos, it has steppers. I would pull that ridiculous dyna language speaking controller off of it, pull out the crappy stepper motors and spend 2 or 3 grand on a Mach2 and servo retrofit. Look at lowcostcncretrofits.com

This isn't a hobby for fun, this is business right? Don't try to make use of the old cards or motors. They're not worth much and you'd waste a lot of time and effort. Go with a turn key system.

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Polymer Man

--It may be non-standard but once you get the hang of it, it ain't too bad. The real problem is the company is on the skids and has been for a loooong time; ever since the lawsuit in fact, heh. --One site you might want to check out is:

...which has a dandy table that compares the features of all known small cnc mills.

Reply to
steamer

Reply to
RoyJ

We had one of those in our department as well- same issues with the controller- We bought a new Shopmaster CNC unit which has a nice G code controller. Later, we shipped the Dyna Mite back to Shopmaster and they retrofitted it with their controller, so now both machines are compatible. Contact them at

Bruce Woodbury

--Yeah. IIRC they were sued by Fanuc for pirating their controller design. Seems to me Dyna lost a bundle in the end; it was about then that the company turned from the kind of outfit you'd expect to the weird thing it is now; i.e. call 'em on the phone some time: one gal answers the phone but she no speaka-da-English very well. Nobody else is available when you ask to talk to other folks. I think it's just her in a big empty building. Last update on their website was back in '02 according to their own site.

Reply to
steamer