Unscrewing something

I think you're both talking about the same round. It is a Rem 22 subsonic. A few dollars for a box of 100 at Walmart or Bass Proshop. It fires about 1020 FPS, vs 1080 for standard. So it is about the same speed, but just under. A regular 22 falls under the sound barrier after just a few milliseconds. It is super sonic just long enough to get the crack. Competitive shooters use subsonic because the shock wave during transonic flight screws up accuracy, and the reduced bullet drop from the slightly faster round is worthless.

The Remington round is also a few grains lighter. 38 vs 40 I believe. They use less powder. The round is noticeably quieter than a pellet gun when used with a sound suppressor, (at least so I'm told). The predominate sound being the bullet impact. Though I have no first hand experience, obviously.

I have used these rounds for sub MOA accuracy out of a relitivly inexpensive gun with good optics. I have a target I've kept with a one hole, 30 yard 10 shot group with this round. Good stuff IMO.

Reply to
Polymer Man

The 22 long Rem round I was referring to has a lighter bullet, 29 gr IIRC.

For 22lr I like the SSS, which is a very heavy 60+ gr bullet in a short case, pretty quiet in a long bbl but really needs a faster twist (1-10) for anything but real short range. Has good hitting power but not stabilized properly in a std 1-16 twist 22lr bbl. I think it was designed to be shot thru a M-16 bbl using an adapter.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Google is your friend....

Just the first two hits..out of many

I dont think there is a hazmat fee either when you have it shipped, like bulk gun powder.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

For stuff under 1000 fps..I drag out my .20 (5mm) Sheridan Blue Streak, and I can dial in just about any speed I want by pumping more or less. Btw..with the pointed pellets..head shots at 35' on ground squirrels are fatal with 4 or more pumps.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Actually..the threaded muzzle thing was not universal. If it had been..a shit load of Swedish Mausers would have been banned as well as FN-49s and so forth.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Sigh..living in California sucks..all the fun toys are still banned under state law.

Ever seen a California legal AR or Fal???

An abortion of the worst kind.

Gunner, jonesing for a STG-58

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

I have a threaded barrel tip - and never had a flash suppressor. That is how my front sight is attached on my Match Rifle. And it is perfectly legal.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

F. George McDuffee wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn