Unscrewing something

Wow, Steve goes for the nuke option because he confused 'former' and 'latter'.

And if having a threaded barrel, or a removable flash suppressor DOES happen to be illegal wherever you are, it would be dicey to discuss it on a public forum.

I think you totally misread the intent of the post.

spamTHISbrp

Well----What I had in mind was machining off the flash suppressor down to the top of the threads, without touching the barrel. Either all the way around in a lathe, or 2 sides in a mill. Remove the scrap, clean up the threads, and install whatever. All this after stripping it down to the barrel if possible. AR's are easy. AK's are a pain to chuck in a lathe, but the mill option works well.

Odd you should mention just cutting it shorter and re-threading. I'm in the process of doing that on one of my AR's. Cutting to 18", re-crown, thread 1/2-28 for a Miculek comp. Doing a JP gas block and float tube at the same time.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs

IIRC the problem is the threads on the barrel muzzle. Assumption is that it will be too easy to attach a silencer. In point of fact barrels with threaded muzzles are illegal unless the threads are "covered up" i.e. with a permanently attached flash hider. More dip s**t regulation by people too stupid to know how to thread anything. Probably all to the good though or we would all have to register our machine tools and have special licenses.

Unka George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Careful, George. Or you may be accused of promoting the use of a silencer, installing one on your own weapon, be turned in to the BATF for real or imagined transgressions, or just blatantly flamed by the reading impaired.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Nope after the assault weapons bill sunsetted the threaded barrel issue went away. A few states have inacted there own stringent laws to replace the AWB but happily I dont live in one of them. You can parade all you want with a threaded barrel with no problems. Even though most would at least put a thread protector on them.

Bill

Reply to
bill

Correct, but it was only threaded bbls on certain self loaders (AWs) that were illegal. All during the ban I was threading the muzzles on my bolt action rifles for muzzle brakes (even .22s); in case they extended the ban my guns would be grandfathered and worth a fortune.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Actually, certain types of 'silencers' are perfectly legal without tax or paperwork. Some shotguns have bbls 5 FEET long and are almost silent. Muzzle extentions are legal as long (as they have no baffles) to extend the sight radius, and if you ever shot a CB in a long bbl you would know they are noiseless.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Nick sez:

''. . . and if you ever shot a CB in a long bbl you

Good point, Nick. That must have gone over some of the heads, here. BTW, I wonder can you still buy CB caps? How about BB caps.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

"Tom Miller" wrote

Not to worry, Tom. I'll be good ....... until the next time. Too bad we are NOT in school. We could have a real discussion after school under the bleachers.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Robert Swinney" wrote

I wanted to get some for rodent control. I was told here (in a thread that wandered greatly steered by the screaming anti gun crowd) that they WERE available. I just haven't been able to find any. I'll probably just use rat shot or shorts.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And those new Federal "gel cap" rat shots won't feed in most automatics... not enough recoil.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote

I'll use the Remington 33 single shot my grandfather gave me in 1956. It will shoot anything. I wouldn't dream of shooting rat shot in my Remington

552 Speedmaster. Or my Ruger Mk1. I do carry .38 shot shells in my S+W Model 60 .357 for snakes. That shell has a very nice pattern at six feet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

============================= And the only reason you even need threads is to hold the "device" on the muzzle.

Two alternatives are set screws and a split "device" that clamps with one or more SHCSs. Most important is a accurately turned section of the barrel that is concentric with the bore at the muzzle. As anyone knows that has tried it [or has taken a design class] it is poor practice to use threads as locators. From what I have seen of the military designs, these all have a very accurate step diameter at the muzzle that fits into a corresponding bore in the "device" for location and the screw threads are simply for retention. I still don't understand the rationale for the LH threads.

Unka George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

CCI still makes a CB cap. If you want serious quiet, pick up some Aquila Colibri. The regular is primer powered only. There is a "Super Colibri" that may have a little bitty bit of powder in it. Either one is quiet out of a pistol, and just a "pfft" out of a rifle. Probably should use the Super in a rifle---if your barrel is a little tight the regular stuff may not exit.

Reply to
Bill Marrs

For those too young to have heard this one, or too old to remember it:

Q: What's the difference between a pregnant woman and a lightbulb?

A: You can unscrew a lightbulb.

And, oh yeah....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Prevent torque from rifling forces from loosening it maybe? Which way do those rifles have the rifling?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

F. George McDuffee wrote: snip

I still don't understand the

Most barrels have right hand (clock wise) rifleing. The bullet accelerates to very high RPM in a short distance. There is a strong impulse to rotate the gun counter clockwise. Due to the inertia of the device, it may unscrew from the barrel with right hand threads which is a bad thing.

Reply to
Polymer Man

================ Sounds like the same engineers that worked on the Chrysler lug nuts [for the left hand side]

Unka George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Remington makes a 22 long std velocity that is VERY quiet in a long bbl; hard to find locally but EZ in Shotgun News or over the internet.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Rem also makes a subsonic 22LR round as well.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen