quick/dirty clamping of vertical rod in tube?

I've seen blacksmiths make forge stock stands using a trick: the stand's vertical member is a tube (e.g. 1/2" pipe) and the vertically adjusting member is a rod (e.g. 1/2" round bar) which slides in the pipe. The top of the pipe is cut at an angle and there is a washer slipped over the pipe. As you lift the pipe, the washer rattles down, but when you let go of the pipe the washer is forced to an angle and binds on the pipe. When you get it where you want it, then (and only then) does the user tighten the threaded T-handle clamp on the side.

My question is, does anyone know how to design this angled washer setup? How angled should it be? How much bigger than the vertical rod should the hole in the washer be?

Grant Erwin -- trying to not reinvent the wheel

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Interesting idea.

I would first say to bore the hole in the washer so it has sharp corners. That would help it to bite into the vertical rod.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Nope, but some things are apparent. The angle on the end of the pipe must be greater than the angle which causes the washer to hang. It would seem that the washer would need relatively sharp edges on the i.d

I'd think you could make one most easily by trying larger washers to see which ones bind on the rod at an acceptable angle. You could do this in the hardware store. Once you have the washer and rod, the rest should be straightforward.

I just went outside to test this idea. 1/2" rod will hang in a 1/2" flat washer at about 30 deg. Sharper edges would help. I don't have any 5/8" washers to try.

Good luck. Post pictures.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Not unlike the jack supplied with the VW bug. (or my caulking gun)

Reply to
Allen Parks

Look at your screen door closer. The thing that holds the door open works like this.

The jack supplied with VW beetles also worked this way.

Reply to
Don Foreman

This is an easy one. Go to the hardware store with your calipers. Look at the pipe clamps. They use exactly this type of set up.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Seems to me, the bottom of the inside washer edge and the top inside washer edge on the other side are the two pipe touch points.

Touch points = pipe diameter Then the triangle generated by the thickness of the washer should determine the angle. I suspect the pipe is cut at this angle or more so this angle is attained.

Grant Erw> I've seen blacksmiths make forge stock stands using a trick: the stand's

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn