Uses of a pulser, TIG.

I am a bit puzzled by the pulsing feature of tig welders. I can understand low-speed pulsing, where the rod would be added on each pulse. What I do not understand is fast pulsing, e.g. between 100 Hz and 500 Hz.

Reading the archives of this group, I found a calculator at

(which basically says that the weighted average of the pulse should be the normal heat, no surprise, and only deals with slow pulsing). I also found the indication that fast pulsing makes the puddle flow better and is good in long seams. This puzzles me a bit. I would imagine that the main effect is to allow to weld faster with less heat, but I am not sure.

Does any of you use the pulse function regularly? In which conditions do you find it advantageous: thin pieces, thick pieces, flat or angle, horizontal or vertical? What is the effect of frequency and how do you adjust it: full blast or rather at the low end?

Reply to
jerry_tig2003

I am a bit puzzled by the pulsing feature of tig welders. I can understand low-speed pulsing, where the rod would be added on each pulse. What I do not understand is fast pulsing, e.g. between 100 Hz and 500 Hz.

Here's my take on it in street terms and understanding:

AC = 60Hz (aluminum welding), 99% - 100% of the current. Usually square wave and center point adjustable for more positive(cleaning) or negative(penetration).

High frequency = 60 to 200 Hz for easy starts(on only at start) and arc control (on all times when welding), 1% or less of the current.

Pulsing is the on and off the welding current, from about once every second to maybe 20 times a second. On and off times adjustable. Not the same as MIG pulsing. MIG pulsing is just an automatic setting of what a human could do with their finger on the trigger.

Sequencing feature controls up slope of amps, on time, down slope.

Memory feature saves sequencing, pulsing, high frequency, current polarity and magnitude settings.

Reply to
Zorro

weekend and couldn't tell much difference. The flashing kinda freaked me out though. Maybe the "spot" function is more what I was looking for. What kind of machine do you have?

I was hoping for a more controlled puddle. One that didn't grow so fast on aluminum.

Reply to
jswatek

High frequency pulsing is best used for flow welds in stainless steel where filler metal is not added. The high frequency pulse turns the weld puddle very liquid. It also works well for silicon bronze.

As to precise frequencies I am still working up a referrence for that as none exists.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

You want a slow pulse then. fast pulsing works best of stainless steel and bronze.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ah! Maybe this is the reason I do not understand the use of the pulser, I never welded stainless. OTOH, you posted that pulsing is usefull in AC and that means Aluminium. Or is only slow pulsing usefull in AC?

Once again, I am deeply indebted because of your quick and informative answer. I was hoping that you would not be the sole person in the group to use fast pulsing, though. Some reference as to frequency should be easier to make if we could share knowledge from several users.

Reply to
jerry_tig2003

Thanks for your answer, but more recent machines have more features, in particular "high frequency pulsing", which I am wondering about. On and off the welding current, but 200 to 500 times a second. Please read Ernie's answer down the thread.

Reply to
jerry_tig2003