Cutting off thin flange under a stainless sink?

I bought a used stainless sink and the four flanges underneath (used to bolt the sink to the countertop) are half-rusted and ugly. I'd like to remove the and use the flat under-surface of the sink with a wooden fram underneath and make a stand for it out of plain 2x4. The sink itself is good and clean but those flanges are too rotted to keep.

I got one of the worst rusted flanges off by pulling/twisting with pliers and hitting it at the seam with a hammer and garden spade, using the spade like a chisel. This technique is not working as well with a less rusted flange.

What would be a good approach?

Reply to
mbrooks

Gotta be a troll......

I would recommend using your teeth... just make sure your caps are in good shape

Reply to
Steve Koschmann

The trusty right angle grinder will remove them very quickly.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

I think those channels are spot welded onto the stainless. A cut off wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder would probably make short work of those spot welds.

-- Gary Brady Austin, TX

Gary Brady

Your best bet is to use a plasma cutter. With a little home-engineering you can power it from your home's Shipstone.

Google for details.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Which reminds me, mine is being delivered next week. What is the minimum height regulations for antigrav heavy lifters over a residential area?

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

Seriously, who buys a used stainless sink? Trash that sucker and run down to Home Depot or Lowes's and buy a new one. They're cheap!

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Somebody who wants a $400 sink for $35. It's large, deep, single bowl. Go price them sometime, a topmount stainless, only four years old but afflicted with a drip - the house was only used a month or two out of the year so nobody noticed. When they saw the damage, the whole cabinet was pitched.

What is up with you people? A simple question was asked and several of you jumped all over it like teen girls ganging up on the new kid in school. Your failure of imagination is stunning. Do you treat all newcomers like this? Maybe you like paying full price for a workshop sink, I don't. I asked for help with a problem I haven't solved before. I don't see one good reason for this pile-on.

Reply to
mbrooks

Thanks, I appreciate the tip. I will get a grinder. The sink is too good to throw away.

***
Reply to
mbrooks

Bad manners is not a rarity on this N.G. Neither is bad advice or misinformation. But inquiries usually do get at least a couple of responsive replies, as did you. An anglegrinder really is an inexpensive tool that can do your job quite well. Harbor Freight has one on sale for $9.99

I'll have to admit that I laughed out loud when I read about the hammer and shovel approach to metalworking! After you cut the tabs off your sink with your new anglegrinder, you can also use it to clean up the dings in your shovel!

Reply to
Don Foreman

If you have a Harbor Freight store close by, they are currently on sale. Look for the orange colored ones. While noisy and rattle a lot..they seem to hold up very well.

Irrc..a $20 bill will get you the grinder (comes with a grinding disk) and a nice wire cup brush(get a fine one) which is very handy for all sorts of cleaning and deburring tasks.

Oh..safety glasses are mandatory.

Gunner

"She's (my daughter) already dating a sex offender. Better that than a republican fundie neocon fascist." FF, (alt.machines.cnc)

Reply to
Gunner

Hey, okay, that really was funny, I'll cop to that. :)

***
Reply to
mbrooks