A Tylenol moment

LOS ANGELES -- Six nails embedded in the skull of construction worker Isidro Mejia, 39, after an industrial incident caused a nail gun to shoot nails into his head and brain on April 19, 2004, are seen in this X-ray image. Five of the six nails were removed in surgery that day and the sixth was removed from his face on April 23, after the swelling went down. (05/05/04 AP photo)

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

Just a few nails? Hell, that's nothing....

The X-ray pic is especially "eye catching".

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

When I was a kid there was a story in the paper about a man who was at a party and shots were heard. Sometime later he had a terrible headache. Took himself to the hospital and it was discovered that he had been shot several times with a .22 in the head. All the buttets traced a path inside his skull right next to the bone. None penetrated to his brain. I wonder if it was an "Urban Legend". I thought it was but after looking at the above x-ray I'm not so sure. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Sort of the inverse of that is the lady that thought she had been shot in the head. She was in her car and heard a loud bang, felt something against her head and reached back and found "grey matter" in her hair. Turned out a cylinder of those "pop n' bake" dinner rolls had exploded in the back seat.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

MythBusters. It could happen, but they had heat lamps pointing at the car for a ridiculous amount of time and were 'racked' such that they had a chance to fly forward. I don't know too many people that continue to drive home with their windows rolled up when it's 113F outside, let alone set the bags on the back seat and make sure the dough is on the top with the bag facing the driver's seat.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

When I was in school, one of our teachers went off campus one day to grab lunch.

While there, the place was robbed and a few shots were fired... it was thought no one was hit at the time... police reports were filed and all that.

Back in his classroom that afternoon, he noticed something felt damp on his lower back. He reached around and felt up under his coat, and pulled his hand out with some blood on it. One of his students took a quick look, and found an entry wound close to his spine.

He said he hadn't a clue he'd been hit... ended up in the hospital a few days, and it was another couple before he was back at school.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Doesn't take that much to set one of those things off. I've had one of them go off just by settiing it down on the kitchen counter. OTOH, I've had to resort to a saw on ocasion to open one. Different glues I guess.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

More of a function of the age of the dough, the dough temp, the resulting internal pressure. And the quality of the cardboard tube does factor in there.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Erik wrote back on Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:42:04 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

My Dad's sargent took a tiny bit of shrapnel in his throat. My dad was going to pluck it out with his fingers, and his sargent said "Don't touch that! That's my ticket off the line!" At least a chance to get away from the war for the rest of the day. == Sometimes fate hits you with the Clown Hammer of Circumstance and there's nothing to do but sit there and watch the little birds fly around your head." - Tara Calishain, ResearchBuzz

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

||>When I was in school, one of our teachers went off campus one day to ||>grab lunch. ||>

||>While there, the place was robbed and a few shots were fired... it was ||>thought no one was hit at the time... police reports were filed and all ||>that. ||>

||>Back in his classroom that afternoon, he noticed something felt damp on ||>his lower back. He reached around and felt up under his coat, and pulled ||>his hand out with some blood on it. One of his students took a quick ||>look, and found an entry wound close to his spine. ||>

||>He said he hadn't a clue he'd been hit... ended up in the hospital a few ||>days, and it was another couple before he was back at school. || || My Dad's sargent took a tiny bit of shrapnel in his throat. My dad was ||going to pluck it out with his fingers, and his sargent said "Don't touch ||that! That's my ticket off the line!" At least a chance to get away from ||the war for the rest of the day. ||==

And a purple heart, and a shot at the presidency!

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show rex@@txol.net (Rex B) wrote back on Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:18:35 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

maybe the former, but I doubt the later, not in '43. "W'addaya want, a medal or a chest to pin it on?"

Then there was the Bill Mauldin cartoon from the same war. Willie to corpsman behind card table "Naw, I already got a Purple Heart, gimme a couple aspirin."

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Or the old cartoon with two women, the first one saying, "Suzy, there's a soldier at the door with a Purple Heart on". "Oooh, send him in".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

LMAO! Never heard that one.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

The difference between pink and purple? The grip.

Reply to
Ken Davey