Mower Sulky

Gang, In the dropbox, pictures of a little project I did for a local guy. He has a JD commercial walk-behind, zero-turn mower that needed a sulky. Made from scrap materials, bed rail, old one-inch pipe, etc. Grease fittings provided at all swivel points. Pictures are in the dropbox:

text file
overall of machine
rear mount
tongue mount
rough frame of platform
final version
final version Feel free to comment. Thanks. Ken

Reply to
Ken Sterling

At this moment the text file is there, but not the pics.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Yup, just checked and the pix haven't made it through, yet. Guess I gotta wait a little longer before I post that they are there.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Really sorry..... I forgot to rename the pictures out of my digital camera. They are in the dropbox as: P1010001c.JPG P1010002a.JPG P1010004c.JPG P1010005d.JPG P1010009a.JPG P1010011a.JPG Ken

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Overall of the machine(Sulky1) would be:

Rear mount (Sulky2) would be

Tongue (Sulky3) would be

Rough Frame (Sulky4) would be

Final result (Sulky5) would be

and (Sulky6) would be

Sorry to all for not renaming these....No excuses, I just screwed up. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

No seat ? or are you doing the roman chariot driver thing :-)

Reply to
machineman

Hey Ken,

Very neat job. And "complete" too, what with the matching JD paint. Looks great. Good photos, showing details. You should get the mower owner to spread a little of that paint around on the rest of the machine!

Please, not as a criticism, but a comment though.....did you "ride it" to try it through a series of sharp turns (the purpose of a zero-turn mower)? It looks to me like the sulky pivot point is in the same vertical plane as the handles. I can't see how it will be easily steerable. If the sulky pivot point was at the centre line of the mower rear axle (or as close as possible), which is effectively the mowers "pivot point", then it would "pivot" around that point when the operator forces the handles to one side or the other to steer. I can't see how he can do that as it is rigged.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Gang,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Brian, Pivot point is indeed about centered between the ends of the handles. Reason being that it keeps the operator between the handles as a turn is being made. The turn is made by squeezing the "trigger" on the handle of the "inside" of the turn. If you want to turn right, you squeeze the right handle. If the pivot point were in the same place as the center of the main machine axle, as the turn was being made the "trailing action" of the sulky would place the operator "outside" the handles on one side or the other. Not good. The up/down hinging action of the rear mount, along with the pivot point just ahead of the operator's toes permits him/her to remain "inside the controls" as the turn is completed. Also, there is a horizontal pivot point under the operator's feet, which pivots to allow the sulky to climb over areas which are higher/lower on the sides. Three pivots all together, and if you look closely, you can see a grease fitting located in the center of the expanded metal lath, between the operator's feet, which greases the horizontal pivot point. I have taken it for a test ride, and it seems to work great, although I didn't try it wide open in high gear :-). The owner's complaint was that this thing will mow (and very well) at about 13 MPH, and running behind it was just no longer an option. This sulky will help him on that respect. Thanks for the comment. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Best if you shrunk the pics a bit also. A lot of us are broadband and don't care but dial up folks will take at least 80 seconds to load each pic.

Heh, heh, 13 mph mow>>Really sorry..... I forgot to rename the pictures out of my

Reply to
RoyJ