HF shipping times

All, What's up with Harbor *Fright* shipping? I ordered something on February 21, and according to HF customer service webpage, the item was shipped on Feb 22. That's fine. Did not receive the item until March 9th. Ups tracking shows it was logged into their system as a pickup/original scan on March 7th from New Jersey. Of course, delivered to me two days later from New Jersey (I live just South of Pittsburgh, PA and two days is normal). What happened to all the time between Feb 22 and March 7th???????? Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

"You get what to pay (or don't) for."

Best not to order from HF if you need something by a specific date. My last order from them took 3 weeks and one item was canceled off the order rather than back ordered.

As far a the quality of most HF stuff goes, as has often been said here, it's OK for infrequent use, but don't expect to buy a silk purse for the price of a sow's ear.

YMMV.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
Finnbear

HF will consolidate shipments until they meet the minimum bulk tonnage for UPS. Depending on how many orders HF has going to your UPS hub that could be a couple of days or a couple of weeks.

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

I always order by phone. Sure the internet is more straightforward but on the phone they tell you what is in stock and you can change your order. They also tell you expected dates on backordered merchandise.

They don't really cancel backordered stuff. If it is over $20, they keep it on backorder until you cancel it. For less than $20 per item, it won't ship when it comes in but if you call, they will ship it with no shipping fee. This is useful if you want a sold out super discount item.

And yes, if you order the $8.99 shipping deal (be use to use a $5 coupon and freebie coupon from a flyer), they do consolidate the orders into one truck going to UPS at a hub. If you pay actual shipping it goes out right away. My last order for $200 would have cost $50 for shipping.

You can order from catalogs up to about 3 months old. I usually buy a bunch of the deep discount items along with the one or two things I really need.

Lastly, their service plan, if bought through a store, can be good. I'm eyeing the TIG welder on sale for $200. For $34 I get a 2 year, in store swap for any failures. YMMV but that is what the sales clerk told me.

I feel that their stuff is not for the professional user but varies between junk and pretty decent at a cheap price. The one thing I was disgusted with, they picked up at my house and paid the return shipping. The credit was put on my CC pretty quickly.

Steve

Reply to
steve

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:16:27 GMT, the inscrutable "steve" spake:

Ditto here. If it's not in stock in the local (25 miles away) store, I order via phone. They must outsource their web folks 'cuz they seem to lose more Internet orders than people make.

Really? That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Cheap shipping is worth the wait on most things.

Really? You can order discounted items from expired catalogs?

That's the one Glenn bought and I fell in love with in 3 minutes. I have a very strong feeling that they'll be selling a TON of those machines in the very near future.

RE: the warranty, they now have a lifetime warranty for same-store replacement. I got one on both the welder and the welding helmet since both have Chiwanese electronics in 'em. They were $9.99 and $5.99.

I've found that you can build in better quality via jigs, so their non-professional tools can work better than they would from the factory. Being viciously frugal, that's a plus to me.

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I never order from HF if I'm in a hurry. I try to think of it as buying myself a surprise gift, because, by the time I get it, I forgot that I had ordered it! It's even more fun when things are on backorder, because you get twice as many packages, someimes months apart.

I live out > All,

Reply to
Pete & sheri

They don't really have an expiration date. They just mellow a bit. About 1 season out and they don't always honor the prices.

This is interesting. They told me about $35 for a one time in-store replacement plan good for 2 years on a $199.99 item (the welder). I'll ask about the lifetime warranty.

Reply to
steve

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:43:01 GMT, the inscrutable "steve" spake:

I've had expiration experiences with one guy at the Medford store, so maybe I'll ask for a manager's override on that the next time I don't make it before the particular sale is over.

Correction, I paid $11.99 for the lifetime inside/1 year outside warranty. Free replacement for life, and they've been around for over

30 years now, so I'm not worried.
Reply to
Larry Jaques