weld-fab-table pictures in dropbox

Now that I am firmly into middle age, I am no longer willing to spend too much time kneeling down and welding small items that laying on the garage slab. In the past, most of my small welding was done out back at work, during lunch or after hours. Unfortunately my current employer's proto type shop is a 2 hr drive (each way) away. Not so convienent to just run "out back" - consequently the strong desire for my own weld/fab table (now if only I had a TIG in my garage to go with this table). This table was made with mostly found material. THe unique features of this mobile table are that it parks over an existing workbench (all other wall space was allocated years ago and I have already begun to place equipment between the bays)and it has removeable sides that can be used to control welding sparks when doing very short duration (tack)welding w/ the table in its stowed position (with the downside that the side shield/curtain will concentrate the welding fumes). Since this garage is located about 10 miles from my residence, I am somewhat paranoid about a potential smoldering fire - hence the side curtains. Follow the link

and look for:weld-fab-table.

I am LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS on a nonconductive electode holder. I am still getting used to using the buzz box on a conductive table (always used a TIG or MIG at work on the steel tables). For right now, I am using a piece of 3/4 inch PVC tubing - can be seen in some of the pics w/ the sides up, on the RH shield. To keep the hot electrode from melting into the plastic I pause for about 20 to 30 sec before putting the electrode into the holder. Somestimes I forget to pause - then the electrode tip is melted into the holder

Reply to
Aribert

Nice! What is the reason for the vice on the left rather than on the right? Just wondering, nothing political...mine's on the right.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hey Aribert,

Very nice. I had to go through them twice to find a shot low enough to be sure it had casters. Like the drawers too. What are the "side curtains" made from.....I hate the terrible splatter from MIG getting everywhere!

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell,Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Aribert wrote: ...

How about a piece of steel pipe/tube that is INSULATED from the table? I'd make a couple of stand-offs out of phenolic. IIRC, you can tap it to use bolts/screws for attachment.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Some misc answers: Vice is to the left because I am right handed and figure to not use it most of the time. Welding blanket/curtain bought from Harbor Freight - Russian made (I believe it to be woven from flax

- has a peculular smell - probably some chemical treatment) that I cut a 25 inch wide strip off of for the curtain mounted to the table sides.

A metal sleeve inside the PVC tube - so simple, so elegant. Wish I had thought of that on my own. I am very glad I added that question (as an after thought). THanks all.

Reply to
Aribert