Spark control - for a welding table?

I am making a fabrication / welding table for my hobby shop. As I pass thru middle age, it is getting more and more troublesome to be kneeling down and welding small parts that are basically at floor level. This table will consist of a 36x36 in. plate supported by a frame on castors. It is made so that I can roll the table and store the table surface over a work bench - I am very space limited in the winter time when there are cars parked in the garage. The idea would be to move a car out, roll the table to the middle of the garage prior to welding so that welding sparks don't get out of hand - I am a bit paranoid about fire. My shop is 10 miles from my home, if there were to be a smoldering fire, I would be unaware untill the place burned to the ground. THe table will have 12 in high metal shields on three sides. I am considering adding a removable welding curtain (a flax type welding blanket) even higher on the sides and back. Question: How high up off of the welding surface would be considered adequate for a curtain? I expect to arc, mig, braze, heat and very rarely cut w/ torches. Tig is probable within a few years - need more disposable cash first.

Follow up question: After storing the table over the work bench, I realized it would be mighty convienient to be able to do minor welding w/ the table parked over the wood work bench (in the winter time it is sometimes a bitch to roll a non running car out and back in if there is snow on the ground - frequenly I spend more time shoveling snow than welding). Now I am considering making the curtains cover over the back end of the table - kind of like a condastoga wagon cover. Obviously this would be for very minimal welding where I would be willing to put up with a few seconds to minutes of welding fumes. Does this sound practical?

Off in Googleland awaiting your responses. TIA

Reply to
Aribert