Did a little Don Foreman style project today

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

Ignoramus3171
Nice. Pleasing shape. JR Dweller in the cellar
Reply to
JR North
Thanks. Red hot iron, for some reason, bends extremely gracefully, compared to everything else that I have ever bent. I do not really comprehend why that is so.
Ignoramus3171
It does look nice. Maybe the difference between viscous flow and yield point exceeded? Anyway, it worked.
Pete Keillor
>> JR >> Dweller in the cellar >> >> >> >>>This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very >>>small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled >>>knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong >>>wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and >>>clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this >>>wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature. >>> >>>
Pete Keillor
Very nicely done, Ig. I hope the screw affixing the knob is shop-made with lathe-cut threads?
Knice knurls. Doncha loveit when they turn out so nice?
Reply to
Don Foreman
You are getting good use out of your forge. Using a 8pt easily dealt with the likely square shaft. I like it!
Wes
Reply to
Wes
I learned that if I let butter warm up to room temperature, I can spread it on bread easier.
Maybe iron wrenches are like butter?
Where can I get iron wrenches? I only have steel ones, and they do not bend nicely when red hot.
Reply to
Cydrome Leader
This forge, as it turns out, is a godsend. Very convenient.
Ignoramus24584
Jokes aside, butter is a good example.
You cannot bend butter as nicely as you can bend hot iron, no matter if the butter is cold or warm, it will not bend nicely.
You can try this right in your apartment.
Ignoramus24584
Very nice to have an "I made it myself" tool that you will use often. Congratulations.
Reply to
rangerssuck
Very NICELY done!! Bravo!
Gunner
Gunner Asch
on it is very
The knurled
1/2" Armstrong
shape and
bent this
So tell us how you mounted the knurled knob shaft to the wrench..... threads? press fit? silver solder? curious minds want to know..... phil
Reply to
Phil Kangas
Gunner... Thanks a lot... I value your opinion on this sort of stuff.
I drilled and tapped the hole, however I tapped it only partially, so the bolt locked up when its tip reached the bottom of the hole. It is very tight now, it could be removed with a screwdriver with quite a bit of effort, but it will not budge from merely using the knob on the handle.
Ignoramus17055
table
one.
sort of stuff.
partially, so
hole. It is
with quite a
knob on the
Fit, Form, Function, eih? Good enough..........;>))
Reply to
Phil Kangas