Did a little Don Foreman style project today

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

Ignoramus3171

JR North

Thanks. Red hot iron, for some reason, bends extremely gracefully, compared to everything else that I have ever bent. I do not really comprehend why that is so.

Ignoramus3171

It does look nice. Maybe the difference between viscous flow and yield point exceeded? Anyway, it worked.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Very nicely done, Ig. I hope the screw affixing the knob is shop-made with lathe-cut threads?

Knice knurls. Doncha loveit when they turn out so nice?

Reply to
Don Foreman

You are getting good use out of your forge. Using a 8pt easily dealt with the likely square shaft. I like it!

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I learned that if I let butter warm up to room temperature, I can spread it on bread easier.

Maybe iron wrenches are like butter?

Where can I get iron wrenches? I only have steel ones, and they do not bend nicely when red hot.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

This forge, as it turns out, is a godsend. Very convenient.

Ignoramus24584

Jokes aside, butter is a good example.

You cannot bend butter as nicely as you can bend hot iron, no matter if the butter is cold or warm, it will not bend nicely.

You can try this right in your apartment.

Ignoramus24584

Very nice to have an "I made it myself" tool that you will use often. Congratulations.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Very NICELY done!! Bravo!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

on it is very

The knurled

1/2" Armstrong

shape and

bent this

So tell us how you mounted the knurled knob shaft to the wrench..... threads? press fit? silver solder? curious minds want to know..... phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Gunner... Thanks a lot... I value your opinion on this sort of stuff.

I drilled and tapped the hole, however I tapped it only partially, so the bolt locked up when its tip reached the bottom of the hole. It is very tight now, it could be removed with a screwdriver with quite a bit of effort, but it will not budge from merely using the knob on the handle.

Ignoramus17055

table

one.

sort of stuff.

partially, so

hole. It is

with quite a

knob on the

Fit, Form, Function, eih? Good enough..........;>))

Reply to
Phil Kangas