Trailer hitch coupler

I finally got the trailer for my boat. I'm a bit impressed and a bit dismayed - but what else is new.

My big question thought, it about the coupler. I've never seen this kind before. It opens - sideways.

What do I call it? And what loads is it rated for???

Reply to
CaveLamb

Bulldog brand or style hitch. Most any commercial users with bumper pull trailers prefer this style for strength and durability.

I do not know the towing capacity of the one you have. Here should be some good information:

We use 2 5/16 on our stuff which is about 12,500

Reply to
DanG

Thanks, Dan. That's what I needed.

DanG wrote:

CaveLamb

The leading Brand name in these type hitches is Bulldog. Here is their website:

They make different capacity couplers, you will need the model #, though the capacity is usually stamped in the steel of the hitch.

I finally got the trailer for my boat. I'm a bit impressed and a bit dismayed - but what else is new.

My big question thought, it about the coupler. I've never seen this kind before. It opens - sideways.

What do I call it? And what loads is it rated for???

Reply to
DanG

I've worked with those, my dad had a trailer with one. Keep it well oiled, they're a bitch if they get rusty. One thing about them, you don't have to worry about locking a lever down with a safety pin, once that collar snaps forward, it's LOCKED. Not coming off unless the trailer tongue breaks or the ball comes off.

Stan

Reply to
stans4