Sub-stance...

Ok...so my Revell 1/72 GATO sub showed up today and I was finally able to compare it side by side with my 1/72 U-boat kits...

U-boat...small boat. GATO...BIG boat. I've been aboard U-505 and know how tight a U-boat is, but I've never seen a GATO in the steel...man,..big boat...

...got my tripod back and was getting ready to shoot pix of my U-boat progress...and it looks like my bass player still has the shoe for my tripod attached to the bottom of his video camera. DRAT...

Reply to
Rufus

FWIW One of the Baltimore IPMS members had his Gato at Tuesday night's meeting. He has the hull together and props/rudders/prop guards fitted and it is painted basic flat black. No conning tower or deck armament yet but even so, MAN! That is one malevolent looking sea beast! I may have to buy one after all.

Bill Shuey

Rufus wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yes - saying it's impressive is almost an understatement. It's looks good right out of the box...though I'll still like to see some etch for it. White Ensign is putting a set together, and I think I'll wait for that one, vise my usual preference for Eduard products. A set of metal guns might be nice, too.

But DANG, that kit sure looks good...there's an option for a boat that was laid down on my birthday (albeit in 1940...), so I may even use kit decals for a change. I'm a bit skeptical about the flags and pennants being decal sheet though - while they'd be nice and thin, I would think they'll crack and flake eventually. I'll probably reprint those on paper stock.

Reply to
Rufus

If you are interested in a true story concerning U-505 (a little), read "Playing With the Enemy"

Reply to
Andrew M