Thank you Hobby Lobby

Well that worked out pretty well today. I printed a 40% off coupon from the Hobby Lobby web site and headed down to the local
hobby lobby after work. I didn't have much hope for good deals because I thought everything would have been picked through already. But ... I was pleasantly surprised. They had a bunch of nice kits. So many in fact I had trouble deciding what kit to purchase with my coupon. I thought what the heck ... and finally purchased the 1/72 scale Revell Gato sub kit. With the coupon I paid about the same price I would have from the Wal-Mart web site. ( I saw it advertised there too ).
Chris

but you didn't have to give money to the evil empire! for me, squallmart is a last resort. sadly though, no hl's around, so it's hobby town on my pilgrimaces to vegas. i get to look once a month.... oh well.

Well, I didn't did I ? I admit I was perusing Wally Worlds web site and happened to see the Gato kit there at a low price. But instead I went to Hobby Lobby. Did I commit a great sin ? I normally avoid buying stuff at Wal-mart if I can. Believe me I'm no fan of " 80% of the stuff we sell is imports " .
Chris
on 12/1/2007 1:13 AM CCBlack said the following:

How many scale models are built in the US?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

you mean manufactured? what, 2?
On Nov 30, 10:41 pm, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

dang it, I hate this hobby, I already have one 1/72 Gato, but at this price I should get another. Who the hell needs 2 four foot sub models ?????????????????????
Craig

Guppy conversion....Regulus missile tank and launcher.... :-)
Pat

how about bookends?
Craig

Honestly Craig, I wouldn't rush to buy another Gato just because the price has fallen 1 year after it's release. For example I've seen the Revell 1/72 German U-boat VII C kit on the shelves at Hobby Lobby for years now.
Last year when the Gato came out I told my buddy I was going to wait until the price dropped before I picked up a Gato kit. I'm sure the price may fall even futher if you wait a bit.
Chris

One for each foot for walking on water (after removing the lead, of course)?
Seriously, though, if you are doing the Gato with the Regulus I can get you part of the way there. MAI's Regulus I is the Sharkit for less money. I have a dozen left for $25 plus actual postage.
Tom

whoa, relax, bud. you done good. i was making fun of squallmart, not you, ok? i live in hicksville, so sometime i have to buy at squallmart, too. we are stuck with them, sad as it is. they had some kits for real cheap money, i bough 2. so collective guilt is the word. you may rag on me, if you wish.

It's all good. I've been driving a truck for a living for the past 15 years. Wal Mart used to infuriate me. They made drivers help unload trailers at their giant distribution centers. No wonder they keep prices low by turning everyone into slaves. These days they cut out the practice of driver unload, however ... depending on the freight, they will charge to unload their freight from your truck. It's really unbelievable if you think about it. I try to avoid the place, but when you can get a whole load of groceries at a much lower price than the local Tom Thumb, it's kinda hard to stay away.
Chris

Back when Sam Walton was still alive, he'd have kicked the living crap out of the people that would have suggested selling imports. His claim to fame was sell 100% American-made (or as close to it as possible). Now it's all bottom line.
The Old Man wrote:

Yep. In my temp work I spent one night at a factory that used to produce clothing. Our job that night was to take a load of clothing produced in India and repackage it in 'Made In USA' boxes. The hangers the little dresses came on had flash sharp enough to cut your hands open if you were careless. Once packed in the new boxes they were shipped out to a Walmart distribution warehouse. Screw 'em.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
CCBlack wrote:

I never buy anything from them. I lived for 40-some years without them and I can go on longer without them.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Pat Flannery wrote:

Yeah, we imperialist dogs will buy anything from them. And we're getting all their coal dust for free!
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.