I LOVE HOBBY LOBBY!!!

Last week I saw a Trumpeter 1/144 SSN-21 Seawolf sub at Hobby Lobby. For some unknown reason, I started thinking about it at work this morning (had to make up some time for the Snow Day here in Denver this week) and I got that "have-to-have-it" feeling. So I stopped at two Hobby Lobbys on the way home from work and they didn't have the Seawolf kit. I finally returned to the store I originally saw it at and they still had two left on the shelf. So with my 40% off coupon, I figured the price (using my cell phone calculator) with sales tax at about $21.50 - not too bad. While I was still standing there, I noticed the $99.99 Tamiya 1/350 USS Missouri on the shelf and thought that I should really start saving the $60 odd bucks to buy the thing with a future

40% off coupon. As I was turning away to head to the checkout counter, I happened to glance at the price tag. I did a double-take to make sure that what I saw was real - $37.99!!!!! They had maked the 1/350 kit with the 1/700 kit price!!! So I immediately dumped the Seawolf kit and snatched up the "Mighty Mo" kit! So with the 40% off coupon, the final purchase price with sales tax was $24.52 or over 75% off what I would have paid for it at the hobby shop!

And three weeks ago I scored some screamin' deals at another local Hobby Lobby. They had heavily discounted some kits that they put on one of the aisle displays. I got a Trumpeter 1/32 F4U Corsair for $27, a 1/35 Academy AH-60L DAP helicopter for $23, a 1/48 Tamiya Wildcat for $5.88, a 1/144 Minicraft 727 for $5.18, a Minicraft PSA 777 for $9.99 and a few other kits.

I must close by saying that I don't mention all this to make those that don't have a local Hobby Lobby store feel bad. I just want to let people know that you can find some screamin' deals at Hobby Lobby if you visit often enough and know where to look. I've also noticed that just about all of the local Hobby Lobbys now have a Closeout section along one wall or corner of the store and some good model kit deals can be found there.

I LOVE HOBBY LOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

Where did you get the coupon from just curious ? I'm kinda disappointed in the paint section though. They don't keep it well stocked. Anyone else have that problem ? Everything would be great about the model section if it wasn't for that. I went in yesterday looking for the ' tri-color ' scheme for WW2 Navy fighters and didn't find one of the colors in there. I think I may have to resort to ordering paints online ... I seem to be having problems locating paints at all the hobby shops I visit. Either they don't have the colors I'm looking for....or they carry the colors but don't have them in stock at the time. However I have picked up a few bargains at Hobby Lobby. Funny...I was walking around and saw this really pathetic looking model kit....the box was all crushed and the plastic wrapper was torn a bit. It was a 1/48 Monogram F9F panther kit. They had it really marked down because of the damage to the box. Well I knew from experience that the parts inside would be okay. I think I got it for about 5 bucks. Just like I thought...everything inside was just fine. And after sitting on my shelf for a bit ( like most of my models ... sigh ) the box has taken back its normal shape and looks just fine.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

The coupons come from their e-mail flyer, sometimes it is also printed in the Sunday paper (of my local paper at least.).

Reply to
RobG

"RobG" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com:

Try here:

Nothing is coming up just now, the old ad expired and the new one isn't uo yet. But this is where I go my 40% off coupon.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The coupon was in last Sunday's newspaper ad. They also had it available on their website

this week and I printed out a couple more just in case I needed them.

I think I'll use my next next 40% off coupon to buy the book that they sell near the checkout counters, "More Than A Hobby" by David Green, the company founder. I'd really like to see what makes this company tick. They seem to sell a rather wide variety of "cottage industry" merchandise and seem to do a better business than their competitors - Michael's and Jo Ann (my own observation). It's nice to see a retail company that doesn't seem to be obsessed with merchandising, ERP, and selling massive quantities at razor-thin margins like WalM... OOPS! I wasn't going to mention any names! ;^)

Merry Christmas! (and GO BRONCOS!! - still in the playoff hunt with Jay Cutler!)

(Disclaimer: Today is December 24 and tomorrow will be December 25th which is actually labled *Christmas* on my "Above and Beyond" military aircraft calendar ;^)

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

Reply to
John DeBoo

We have 3 in Albuquerque and they are always doing a booming business. We had 3(?) Michaels and are now down to 2!

Uhhh, GO SEAHAWKS

John

Reply to
John DeBoo

And to think Qwest Field is open - to give the "Hawks an advantage??

Reply to
Andrew M