Hobby LObby Alert

Models 50% off again - Plastic & diecast

Reply to
Jeff Barringer

I'm getting reeeaaallll accustomed to these 1/2 off Hobby Lobby sales!

On the last day of the last sale, the week before Christmas, I popped into a store I'd visited earlier in the week just because I happened to be driving by. They had actually restocked and I got the new Minicraft Delta DC-8-71 for $13.98. Such a deal!

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

"The Collector" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

YOU SUCK!!!!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

How was your copy of the DC-8? I ask, because the first one I picked up, was missing one of the "short" wing-tip pieces. Another member of the Yahoo Airliner Modelling group had the same "ommission" from his DC-8 kit. (A SNAFU on the assembly line, such as the sprue getting caught on something?...). The second kit I picked up (both from a HL 50% off sale); had the decal sheet stuck to the instuction sheet. And several members of the Yahoo group have mentioned the same thing. One of Minicraft's own people, is a member of this Yahoo group, and is always welcoming feedback.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I got a Trumpeter O'Brien for $18 and a Minicraft "Flights of Fantasy" Pan Am 777 kit for $20.

I had actually gone wondering if they handled any Polar Lights, the 2

350th Enterprises in particular.

RLM

Reply to
Robert McNay

My Minicraft DC-8-71 has all of its parts (whew!). However, I did have to gently peel the decal sheet away from the instruction sheet as you mentioned. No damage done.

And since Gray Ghost pointed out that I suck (for apparently scarfing up one of these DC-8s), I must say that I must suck even more after today's HL visit. I walked into my local store (Monaco & Leetsdale in Denver) and they had a tableful of kits that had already been marked down 50% for 50% off the sale price (total savings 75%!). So I picked up a Minicraft Continental 777 for $8.50.

;^)

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

"The Collector" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Now you double dog suck!!

8)
Reply to
Gray Ghost

That's nothing...

This did not occur during one of the "50% Off Sales", but it was a discovery on the everyday "Reduced Table". I found two of the Minicraft "Famous Propliners" sets (DC-3, Stratocruiser, Constellation, and China Clipper, with

*gorgeous* decal sheets) MIS-marked for $10.04 each. Needless to say, I had no guilt at snagging both boxes!

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I scored a 1/32 Trumpeter/hobbycraft F-105D for the princely sum of $13.00 at the Gardendale Hobby Lobby store here in Birmingham. It didn't have a price tag on it, so I asked the clerk restocking the next aisle if he knew the price and without hesitating he answered "$25.99 and they're on sale 50% off of that" !! They did have a large table with clearance models marked 33% off, including 4-5 Revell Germany 1/72 B-36s and a 1/48 B-1B. I tried to get

50% off of those, but no luck. I'll try one of the other 3 stores in town tomorrow.

Regards,

John Bass Birmingham, AL

Reply to
John

...that sound you hear would be my jaw hitting the floor.

Reply to
Rufus

I had that double double HL thing happen just once and get this...

I got

7 1/48 AM P-51A's @ 5 ea 2 1/48 AM IL-2's @ 7 ea 4 1/48 AM F3F's @ 5 ea 4 1/48 AM SBD-1's @ 5 ea 3 1/48 AM TBF's @7 ea 2 1/48 AM B-25 C/D @ 12 ea

All in one swoop from the CLEARANCE rack during a half off sale. I almost needed 2 shopping carts but creative stacking got me out with only 1.

That my friend was my best day at hobbylobby

- I still have at least half of those kits the rest I gave away to people here(r.m.s.) on my old model website during contests.

I think there are a few of my old contest winners bumping around here. I know RobG still has that 1/16 Tamiya Tiger we gave away but I think he is still trying to find the space to assemble it.

Reply to
Jeff Barringer

I've only scored twice on an obviously mis-priced HL kit. Bought 2 1/32 Trumpeter P-40's for $9 each. They were priced at $18 each during a 1/2 price sale. On the same trip I bought a Tamiya 1/48 Me 262 for $5 that was priced at $10.

Oh Happy Day!

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Well, I went to the one in Youngstown OH yesterday, and I wasn't that favorably impressed. The selection was pretty low (picked over already?) but judging by the shelf labels, they didn't have all that much for me (an armor builder) in the first place. They had about one each of the newer Tamiya stuff, plus several of their accessory sets. I didn't see any Italeri or Trumpeter armor - Do they carry them? Plenty of 1/144 aircraft, including that DC-8 or whatever it was that Frank was drooling over. No "clearance" table that I could find, just an island out in the main aisle that served more to flag you to the model aisle.

I almost bought one of those new visible Hemis, but passed as I am in a reduction mode. They had a Revell 1/96 Saturn V which I might have bought back in the day, but what am I gonna do with two? I looked at the MRC/Atomic City Mercury capsule, but again, reduction mode.

I visited another HL a couple of years ago on a business trip down south, and I'll have to say that model situation was about the same.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I think it all depends on the store manager. We have 3 in Colorado Springs and there are 2 near my office in Denver. Out of that, there are 2 that are very well stocked, one in particular. I even picked up

2 of the new Tamiya 1/48 armor kits and they had the MRC Atomic Capsule which I already own. They also had the Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprise and much more.....
Reply to
Count DeMoney

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! Either of the 350 PL Enterprises is what I went to Hobby Lobby hoping to find!!!! The manager told me they only get PL diecast at the Mt. Prospect IL store.

Damndamndamndamn.........

RLM

Reply to
RLM

Yes, it does depend on the manager. Our local managers are often eager to please and will stock items and lines modelers request. In general, managers aren't too savvy on brand names and kit subjects. A polite conversation with the manager may help and certainly won't hurt.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

godamit, right after i leave the area around one.

listen for two.... merry ho ho's rufe!

The one hobby lobby that is the best is Colorado Springs is managed by a retired military (Fort Carson) guy. He also builds models and talks to the customers. The selection is great and is replenished regularly. That Revell U- Boat looks tempting but I can'f figure out a way to sneak into the house under my coat. I'm gonna need a bigger coat (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

With Regard to Milton's post, I have had several chats with HL managers and every one of them were extremely accommodating. Two of them showed me their stock ordering book and offered to rain check anything they had in the book but not on the shelf during a half off sale. One let me in on the fact that HL is expanding into Florida, Good News for some of us...Be patient in Gainesville, Ocala and Orlando. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Apple