Question about 1/72 Gato

Hey, all.

I find I'm curious about this sub model. I haven't done a real model in a long time, and am considering grabbing this kit.

I went looking for photos of a completed one on Revell's site, and struck out. All I see is the same image as is apparently on the box. What I'm trying to determine is a) how much of the interior is modeled, and b) how can that be displayed?

Are there, for example, removable side panels along one entire side, which would show all interior levels and compartments? It'd be pretty cool to display it in kind of an 'exploded' fashion like that, and still have an option to close it all up.

Thanks!!

Reply to
BD

Hey, all.

I find I'm curious about this sub model. I haven't done a real model in a long time, and am considering grabbing this kit.

I went looking for photos of a completed one on Revell's site, and struck out. All I see is the same image as is apparently on the box. What I'm trying to determine is a) how much of the interior is modeled, and b) how can that be displayed?

Are there, for example, removable side panels along one entire side, which would show all interior levels and compartments? It'd be pretty cool to display it in kind of an 'exploded' fashion like that, and still have an option to close it all up.

Thanks!!

Reply to
BD

There is no interior at all, it is an exterior model only, like the U-boat and most other submarine models. Maybe aftermarket componies will make an interior like CMK did for the U-boat kit, but right now the kit is so new, there is nothing available.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Good to know. ;-)

Reply to
BD

WEM has a deck gun replacement listed as coming soon. But the real treat would be a set of Czech master interiors ala the U-Boat Set - but given the size of the Gato I have to wonder if the demand would be there. Also they took what seemed to be forever to final arrive on the market.

Val Kraut

"> There is no interior at all, it is an exterior model only, like the U-boat

Reply to
Val Kraut

The inside is big enought to fit complete interior. But it would take superior modelling skills to replicate the interior. There are web sites that have diagrams of the interior, from general layout down to detailed sketches of the various piping and oil storage and presure pipe/electrical conduit layout.

The boat is big, and beautiful. Well worth the money. Revell outdid itself on this model. I hope they do a 1/72 IXC like the U-505.

Reply to
Jack

I saw one built up at Telford today - it looks HUGE! and beautiful!!!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

I brought mine to the club meeting the other night. One fellow (who knows my penchant for large kits) hoisted the upper cardboard tray (which holds the main halves) on his shoulder like a LAW rocket. Made for some guffaws from the crowd... It is quite nice, nonetheless.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.