Revell U-Boat and after-market interior

Hey, all.

Okay - first off, I'm not an avid builder - at least I haven't been in years.

But, for whatever reason, I twigged onto this new Gato Sub from Revell, and was going to grab one - but if I'm going to try a new kit of a sub, I'd like one with a modeled interior - which it seems the Gato lacks.

So I'm hearing about the 1/72 U-Boat, and some Czech interior. Seems the more avid modelers know all about this kit, but I'm curious to see a reference to precisely what interior we're talking about.

The more I search , the more confused I get - I'm seeing links to specific interior sections, like the torpedo room...

Is there one resource that would have the straight poop on the 'best' representation of a full interior?

Sorry to sound so lost, but it seems there's lots of stuff available, and I don't have the understanding yet of what's got the best reputation.

Thanks for any feedback!

BD

Reply to
BD

There are four interior sections made by Czech Masters - mostly of resin. The torpedo room, command section, engine room and officers ward room/galley. Interesting the numbers on these kits went 1,2,3,5. Makes one wonder if a 4 was planned and still may showup. They also make some figure sets, Torpedo loading crew, deck crew for the gun, bridge crew and crew loading provisions.

A reprovisioning at sea set with a rummebr raft is also available.

Yankee Model works makes a brass replacement deck - with real holes not indents, and the upper pressure hull you would glimpse through the holes.

Theres also a torpedo loading set from WEM.

An after market brass set is also available.

Andrea makes separte crew figures.

Revell make a crew set

There's a decal set with specific tower insignia - I forgot who makes it.

It took a long while for all of this to materialize.

Hope this helps,

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Yes, thanks - gives me a few specific things to look for. ;)

Reply to
BD

No. You have to buy three kits to get the full interior. And even then, I think there's another one out there to get you the full pressure hull top.

And then there's multiple etch sets available for the exterior...welcome to the frenzy.

Reply to
Rufus

The Revell 1/72 U Boat ( German ) has been out for some time over a year ,the aftermarket industry has produced quite a few bits and pieces to enhance the model. The 1/72 Gato (US) class sub has only just been released so it will take some time to get the same level of aftermarket bits available. If you go to the Hyperscale website forums and initiate a search you will find posts that list all the aftermarket stuff for the 1/72 U Boat.Or ask the question ,some will put you onto the list.

BTW there are two versions of the Revell 1/72 German U Boat.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

BD stated that he purchased the Revell 1/72 GATO NOT the German U-boat The CK interior details are for the 1/72 U-boat The 1/72 Gato kit has just been released It will be some time before the aftermarket suppliers get the interior details out. Nautillus already has an exterior set that offers up a different version of the Gato. BD go ahead and build it then when the interior details are released you can build it that way! Good luck!

BD wrote:

Reply to
fyrcaptjbk

BD did not purchase the 1/72 Gato sub. "(I) was going to grab one - but..."

He then mentioned the 1/72 U-boat. "So I'm hearing about the 1/72 U-Boat, and some Czech interior"

He then was asking about the U-boat model interior. "Seems the more avid modelers know all about this kit, but I'm curious to see a reference to precisely what interior we're talking about"

Reply to
Willshak

And, after careful consideration, I think I'll let this one go too. Looks like if I want to satisfy my curiosity fully, I'll be putting at least a couple hundred bucks into it for all the resin cast bits. Not that they wouldn't be cool once completed, but.... *yikes*. ;-)

Reply to
BD