HO caboose interior kit

Hello,

I want to pimp 2 of my HO caboose's (one side windows caboose and one wide vision caboose) and do that I'm looking for interior kits. A tried to get them in the netherlands but without succes. So I googled a bit around but I couldn't find any good links to webshops selling any.

So my question is : does somebody know a link to a webshop selling these kits ?

Best regards,

Lex Bolkesteijn

Reply to
lex.bolkesteijn

"Wolf" wrote in message news:458e9cb0$0$1622$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com...

Back in the 1960's a company called Ayers made a caboose interior kit. As I recall it had a white metal cast pot bellied stove, several milled wood passenger car coach seats of varying lengths, some wooden blocks to be used for the lockers under the cupola and as a desk, and some basic instructions that suggested anything else could be made from cardstock. Thus I'd second Wolf's suggestion to use a selection of a few appropriate parts coupled with simple wooden or plastic shapes and sheet stock from your junk box. Adding to Wolf's suggestions, also look at passenger car and diesel loco interior parts; many older cabooses used older style passenger coach seats, and many newer ones used cushioned seats very much like those provided for the engineer in modern diesels. Caboose interiors varied widely - bay window or cupola, long distance with bunks or transfer service with none, drovers or mixed train with accommodations for additional people, old with wood tongue and groove interior partitions or modern with sheet metal surfaces, an old pot belly stove for heat and cooking or a newer bottled gas range and oil heater, an old commode that opened to the track or new retention type, etc. etc. Again, Wolf's recommendation to find an example is a good idea. Which caboose model are you planning to detail? Perhaps a reader will be able recommend a source for appropriate interior information. Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

Actually, the noun has become a verb. Agreed that it's as ugly and stupid as a Hummer with a W04 bummper sticker.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Only to a subset of the population - a subset that does NOT include me. I'm still fuming over the media's decision to regularize irregular verbs :-).

But I think the definition extension of "pimp" is one of the more regrettable recent developments.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Bah! Humbug!

Reply to
Steve Caple

As a noun, to describe someone like Cheney, but not as a verb.

Reply to
Steve Caple

It may be regrettable, but it's not something that you can stop. People will use whatever words they feel will do the job they want - and "simple communication" is a minor use of language, as should be obvious to anyone who watches and listens to what people actually say in the many different contexts and situations of their daily lives. (This IMO explains why most people have such a tough time with manuals and instructions - such productions are intended to "simply communicate", and they do so, with a vengeance.)

The media don't decide usage, they follow it. By the time Time prints a slang word, it's already so yesterday.

"Pimp" as a verb meaning "to offer for sexual services" already existed. The extension to "make attractive to a potential customer" is an obvious one, and the application of that meaning in non-sexual contexts is easy. The definitions quoted by a previous poster are merely the dictionary makers' attempts to keep current on how the word is used in different contexts. We do not have an Academy prescribing and ruling on usage and grammar as the French do, nor do we attribute superior quality to the written language, as the Germans do.

BTW, did you know that in Shakespeare's time " accommodate" was developing an unsavoury connotation? It was shifting from "to provide services" to "to provide sexual services." This meaning became the predominant one by about 1700, and the word dropped from polite usage. It didn't reappear for about a century, by which time its sexual meaning was forgotten, so that its original meaning was easily extended to cover living space, etc.

I mention this in an attempt to soothe your ruffled feelings: within a few years, "pimp" will either revert to a predominantly pejorative meaning (more likely), or it will become innocuous, with its sexual meaning all but forgotten (less likely).

HTH

Reply to
Wolf

Lex, I knew exactly what you meant. You made it very clear. If I don't know what you mean , I'll simply say " Huh" ???....instead of giving you a smart a** reply and a lesson in the english language. Check the Walthers web site or catalog. They have a lot of detail items. I ran across a web site for a new outfit here in the USA specializing in detail parts , but can't recall the name. I'll try to find it and get back to you. Many people who frequent this group have apparently forgot what it's all about....'model railroading ', .....not waiting for an opportunity to try to prove someone wrong.

Merry Christmas !

Ken

Reply to
Ken Day

Hello All,

Thank you all for the trouble replying to my post and pointing me in serveral directions and giving me hint where to look for the HO caboose interior kit. I'm sorry that I started almost a flame war because of the P* word just before these days ;-)

I have decided to create the interior all by my self and I have started looking for even more interior photo's of various kinds of cabooses (thank you google :-)

I will create the interior from scratch using styrene (for example evergreen) and other materials. Kits are fun but doing itself is even more.

I whish you all a merry christmas ( (no trains this year)

) For a more train spotting version (last year :
)

Best regards,

Lex

Reply to
lex.bolkesteijn

I agree! When a body starts letting a crap TV production like MTV dictate how to conduct your life and interact with other people, it's time to exterminate the morons! :)

Reply to
The Seabat

I think he really meant " primp " - to " pretty up " something Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174

Reply to
alan200

Mmmm the words of Ebenezer Scrooge. "thanks to MTV"by the way is a phrase that can also be read in different ways, thanks to does not always mean that one is pleased with it.

Greets Jan

Reply to
Jan(Bouli)Van Gerwen

You mean they shoot dice in this show, isn't that the meaning of crap? Just kidding Seabat, you see how easy it is to mix up the English language, maybe because it is the most simple language with the least different words ( I'm not sure this is a fact ).

Anyway like or dislike MTV , the language used on MTV is used by many. Seeing you use a computer to communicate makes me believe that you are not living in the past so MTV and other things of this generation can't be that bad to you :-)

Greets Jan

like MTV

Reply to
Jan(Bouli)Van Gerwen

Wouldn't that be "craps"?

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

I meant it in the human waste category. :)

[Climbing onto soap box] My opinion is that music videos are the curse of music, especially rock-n-roll. Remember when you heard a song and you were doing something cool, like getting your first kiss or getting to first base, or getting to home....well, ahem! You know what I mean. And later when you heard that song again it would bring back fond memories (or maybe bad ones). Now when you hear a tune, all a body can see is that video, which is the interpretation of somebody else, in reference to that (any) song.

Music has become secondary to video. If you have a slick, fancy, naked girls/boys prancing around video people will love the piece, no matter whether the music is good or 'crap' :) ! e.g. Britney Spears. The music is boring and mundane, with no imagination. Yet, she will make a video of her and others dancing around in their underwear and all the pimply faced little crumb snatchers of the world will swoon with joy for her 'artistic' talent. Bah! [Jumping off said box]

Reply to
The Seabat

No, sonny, that's called craps.

It's not a question of modernity, it's a question of poverty of expression.

About what you would expect from people whose exposure to music is defined by the limited, monochromatic palette of hip hop.

I have to laugh when I hear people use the term "hip hop culture". That's as oxymoronic as "military justice".

Reply to
Steve Caple

No trouble at all! you might start by researching caboose interiors here on the net. I know there's some:

Just be prepared to see that God awful limeish green!

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

I know what the OP meant, just as I know what you meant by "geez." Neither represents the epitome of proper English :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Larry Blanchard spake thus:

So where is it written that one must use "proper English" (whatever the hell *that* is) here? Remember where you are, my friend. And tell that to all the poor dumb AOL-speaking masses out there, who cain't even

*spell* rite, for chrissakes.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Auw, I see what you mean. I think I have to blend my own paint for that one.

Thanks for the links.

Best regards,

Lex Bolkesteijn

Reply to