U-boat questions (building the 1/72 Revell)

Well, it's not my scale (1/48) or my subject (RAF and post-war military aircraft in general), but it was too cool not to get one!

I have a couple of questions for people who are a tad more familiar:

1) The drain/flood holes. I've seen it suggested that these should be drilled out. Fair enough. But along how much of the hull can you see straight through to the other side? Along how much of the middle section should I be drilling them out, but blanking off inside?

2) Weathering. I suspect that the most battered Gulf War Buccaneer looks pristine next to a U-boat returned from an Atlantic cruise. Can anyone suggest appropriate references/guidelines/photos/tips etc. to bring me up to speed on how to deal with a rusty tin can?

Many thanks in advance, as always.

Bestest, M.

Reply to
Matt Bacon

A lot of people seem to be interested in drilling out all the flood holes on this kit, but to me, it doesn't make sense unless you plan to add of lot of interior bits. Aside from the top of the pressure hull, you have anchor gear, torpedo loading hatches, induction trunking, etc in there. On the real thing, there are very few places that you can see straight through to the other side and the kit holes are big enough that it will be noticible if you just drill them out and leave the "big empty" inside. FWIW, I don't plan on drilling mine out.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Just leave them as they are, when finished they look quite realistic and you won't improve on them

Ted

Reply to
TED TAYLOR

people keep writing as though the 1/72 U-boat is out now. that's not true, is it?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

The kit has been out in Europe since early December. Supposedly, all of the first production run went to Europe and NA distributors won't get any until the next batch is molded.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Yes - but not in the USA yet...though I've got my decals for it...

Reply to
Rufus

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

What, Merriman is going to "assemble" a model :-)

Regards Jim Barr

The Model Hobbit wrote:

Reply to
Jim Barr

And they're off and running......

:-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Oh God, no.

WmB

WmB

"WmB" wrote in news:UBEXb.5281$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Run, run for your lives!!!!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

And rumors tell that it will fire "real" torpedoes!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gray Ghost wrote:

Reply to
The Model Hobbit