U-boat questions (building the 1/72 Revell)

Well, it's not my scale (1/48) or my subject (RAF and post-war military
aircraft in general), but it was too cool not to get one!
I have a couple of questions for people who are a tad more familiar:
1) The drain/flood holes. I've seen it suggested that these should be
drilled out. Fair enough. But along how much of the hull can you see
straight through to the other side? Along how much of the middle section
should I be drilling them out, but blanking off inside?
2) Weathering. I suspect that the most battered Gulf War Buccaneer looks
pristine next to a U-boat returned from an Atlantic cruise. Can anyone
suggest appropriate references/guidelines/photos/tips etc. to bring me up to
speed on how to deal with a rusty tin can?
Many thanks in advance, as always.
Bestest,
M.
Reply to
Matt Bacon
Look into
&
&

Matt Bac>
Reply to
Ron
A lot of people seem to be interested in drilling out all the flood holes on this kit, but to me, it doesn't make sense unless you plan to add of lot of interior bits. Aside from the top of the pressure hull, you have anchor gear, torpedo loading hatches, induction trunking, etc in there. On the real thing, there are very few places that you can see straight through to the other side and the kit holes are big enough that it will be noticible if you just drill them out and leave the "big empty" inside. FWIW, I don't plan on drilling mine out.
Dave
Reply to
Dave Williams
Just leave them as they are, when finished they look quite realistic and you won't improve on them
Ted
Reply to
TED TAYLOR
people keep writing as though the 1/72 U-boat is out now. that's not true, is it?
Craig
Reply to
Craig
The kit has been out in Europe since early December. Supposedly, all of the first production run went to Europe and NA distributors won't get any until the next batch is molded.
Dave
Reply to
Dave Williams
Yes - but not in the USA yet...though I've got my decals for it...
Reply to
Rufus
Yes I saw the one that Dave Merriman had at the Tidewater Meeting last week. Quite nice! HUGE!!!
Craig wrote:
Reply to
The Model Hobbit
What, Merriman is going to "assemble" a model :-)
Regards Jim Barr
The Model Hobbit wrote:
Reply to
Jim Barr
And they're off and running......
:-)
Tom
Reply to
Maiesm72
Oh God, no.
WmB
WmB
"WmB" wrote in news:UBEXb.5281$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:
Run, run for your lives!!!!
Reply to
Gray Ghost
He's converting it for RC use! Gotta see this when it is done!
Jim Barr wrote:
Reply to
The Model Hobbit
And rumors tell that it will fire "real" torpedoes!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Gray Ghost wrote:
Reply to
The Model Hobbit