Re: Revell 1/72 U-Boat at Chicago Show

Saw a build up of the Revell U-boat slated for later this year. Wow! This is >a

>super looking sub model with a lot of nice detail

One would hope that it has superb detail at 1:72 scale! That will make the model roughly 3 feet long, so if one is going to give up that much display space, you should expect detail. Fortunately, it is NOT an upscale version of the older Revell U-99 kit (Type VII-B), but rather a VII-C, and it looks that the most obvious mistakes have been rectified. Here's a link to some Revell photos of the model(color scheme most definitely NOT correct!).

Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

Not being an expert on German submarines, just WHY THE FLUORESCENT GREEN PLASTIC????? Sorry about the yelling, but Michigan just beat the living crap out of the Fighting Irish and I have to take it out on somebody-

Reply to
Jim Atkins

So, there's nothing left on the field but their uniforms?

and I have to take it out on somebody-

And sports bars all over the Chicagoland area fall silent and morose--as the rest of the country celebrates.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

My guess is that it's the acetate master?

Ken

---------------- Ken Lilly snipped-for-privacy@technologist.NOSPAM.com

*remove NOSPAM to reply* When diplomacy fails, send in the B-52's
Reply to
Ken

They had just done a quick paint job. Some parts (like propellers) were not installed. I'm waiting to see what the MSRP will be. Four different distributors are showing $25. I'm betting that will change before release.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

Gotta believe you're right on that! I expect to see it around $35-45. The current Revell U-boat kits run around $16-21 for much less styrene. At 1:72, they certainly would have had to invest a lot in detailing the masters. The real proof will be in the deck-how they handle the myriad slots. There is actually a photoetch 1:72 scale deck that the R/C submarine builders use for their kit. Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

There are very few color photos of U-boats from WWII. The fluorescent green scheme was a desperate attempt at counter-camoflauge. Make the scene so unbelievable that the patrol plane would not attack & just move on...

Seriously, it's a test shot. Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

This will make a good mate for their 1/72 Flower class Corvette.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Cuell

Ohh, if I only did ships! (and had the room) I'm seeing an "Enemy Below" diorama. Do they make a Robert Mitchum in 1:72?

The Old Timer

Yes, but the chin is way off.

Reply to
Toni Lassila

Test shots are done whenever a machine goes off-line, but they don't change the color of the plastic to do the shots. Its just convenient. This is also a good way to tell how many molds are involved in the kit. If all we are seeing is gray and green, its a safe bet there are only two or three molds, one of the being the green parts and the other one or two being the hull and deck details. My guess is each half of the hull is in its own mold, with other stuff around it.

Scott snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com

Reply to
CaptCBoard

I intend to buy a couple-- at least one of them will be an RC model, to go with a FLower CLass (which makes a great RC model.!)

Reply to
RC Boater

in article snipped-for-privacy@no.spam, Toni Lassila at snipped-for-privacy@nukespam.org wrote on 9/14/03 2:13 PM:

Yes but im sure verlinden makes an overpriced corrected resin chin

Reply to
bweckel