Re: 1/72 scale U-Boat...

I went to Al's Hobby in Elmhurst IL last nite. They had one in the window.

> Unfortunately, they are closed Fridays at 5:30. :+( Kim M

Per my previous post, I'm not really a ship guy. But the more I see of this kit on the online review sites, the more I think I'll be "sneaking" one into the house before the summer is over ("sneaking" being put in quotes because I have no idea how I'm going to hide a kit of this size in my stash of 1/72 airplane kits).

Reply to
Pauli G

it does look good. maybe it's time to roll the dreaded penny stash. let's see, two cents each for the wheat pennies....

Not a ship guy either, but after the 1/72nd scale S-Boote last year, I had to give the U-Boat a try. The U-boat is going together easier than the S-Boote. Now I need someone to put out an American WWII Fleet Boat

Oxmoron1 MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

mia gato?

Combat Models may have one in their line. I'm not sure, though. Kim M

Now, if someone would do the USS Merrimac anc CSS Virginia in 1/72.....Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

that would cause me to learn how to model water.

Maybe sooner than you think... Combat Models is defunct, as the owner John Ruck passed away. Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

However, Roberts Models bought the molds and is reissuing them under the Combat Models label. I don't know if the ship range is being released, though. Kim m

Reply to
Royabulgaf

how would that sad event get a gato out there?

Kim

There are 1/72 kits, vacuform IIRC. As I don't do 19th Century stuff I don't remember who, though.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Kim

I remember seeing the landing craft at an IPMS meeting years ago.

A shoe box would have made a better starting point.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Try this:

Make room in the garage.

Attach four wheels and a windshield to the box.

Tell the wife it's a new car.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Two separate points: One a Gato is underway and two, John Rucks passed on. Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

i see. thank you.

Are you serious? That is very cool! The last time I built a model submarine I was in jr. high, but I've been meaning to build the USS Harder ever since I read _The Destroyer Killer_ years ago.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

Kim wrote in reply to:

Kim, You said the "C" word! I'll 100% scratchbuild befire I ever by another Combat so called kit. Combat kits don'y even qualify as vacuforms compared to the other people in that market.

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

For the past few years I have wanted to buy a boat despite very serious misgivings from the missus. Nothing huge, just a nice 18-20 footer, inboard-outboard engine, good runabout and skiboat. Here's the plan (inspired by the car suggestion):

I purchase the U-boat, and then go home one night and say "honey, guess what? I bought a BOAT!!!". She'll undoubtedly go supercritical in nanoseconds flat, but then I can say "...not a "boat", a model kit of a submarine". She'll be so relieved that my "boat" isn't being towed behind the pickup truck that she'll probably let me park the U-boat kit on the dining room table for weeks (so that I can inspect the parts/instructions/decals)!

Reply to
Pauli G

Okay, I'll bite. What are the details? ....about the sub not John Rucks.

Reply to
Mark Levine

Isn't the Dumas Monitor/Merrimac duo something close to that? Of coure, their accuracy may leave something to be deiserd, but they do exist :)

Reply to
a0002604

Yes, the Dumas models are in 1/72 scale.

1/72.....Kim M
Reply to
RC Boater