Made a trailer backing light (pictures)

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Homemade-Trailer-With-M105A2-Bed/10-Trailer-Backing-Guide/
This is a homemade trailer backing guide that can be installed on all
sorts of places on the trailer: the tongue for backing up the truck to the trailer, the rear for backing up with trailer, and on a side for the case when cargo makes it impractical to put the guide in the middle.
I used a car antenna, a bicycle light, and a 150 lbs Harbor Freight "magnet pickup tool".
Ignoramus25732 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Homemade-Trailer-With-M105A2-Bed/10-Trailer-Backing-Guide/
Did you get those flags sorted for your trailer? It reminded me of something. I've seen things called "corner markers" on some British army trucks. Basically it's a bright or fluorescent painted metal rod which sticks up from the corner of the vehicle. I think the famous Humber Pig sometimes had them on the front, because it wasn't possible to see the mudguards from the cab, but I'm not certain of this.
Best wishes,
Chris

I have decided that someone who remarked that no flags would hold up to highway use (and sunlight), was correct. I gave up on flags.
Ignoramus25732 wrote:

Indeed. You could just make a couple of sockets into which you fit fluorescent-painted metal poles when you want to reverse?
Best wishes,
Chris
On 7 Apr 2007 16:22:31 -0700, "Christopher Tidy"

Btw...this is a GOOD use of those graphite/fiberglass tent poles from dome tents you can find at the Goodwill for $5. Often times the tent itself is toast..degraded or shitty nylon etc..but the poles are light, usally long enugh, tend to be socketed like fishing poles and at 18 or so inchs long..small enough to stick in a rig box or behind the seat..and you get a bunch of them with every tent.
Gunner
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
On 7 Apr 2007 15:32:19 -0700, "Christopher Tidy"

Lots of old Mercedes and Bedford/Leyland lorries had them too. ANd I had a set on my '53 Dodge Coronet. Wife wanted a set on the Aerostar.

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 23:43:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Carl

Y'know, what intrigues me is that Ig didn't buy a dual backup camera and hook 'em up to avoid all this mess.
-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778) --

What is a dual backup camera?
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:38:08 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

A backup camera system with two cameras, one for the tailgate of the trailer, one for your truck tailgate. Or use one with a long cord which could be stretched out for the trailer use. http://www.rearviewsystems.com/ <cha CHING> http://tinyurl.com/2bzcbu $80 Got an inverter in your truck? $30 for this system http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberG546
-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778) --

Ig's design is flexible- he can put it where he wants. I already have a use for it- When I park my camper in the driveway I like to bring it right up to the garage. My current way to indicate when I'm about to stuff the trailer through the door is to stack two trashcans by the door. When I knock the cans over with the trailer, it's time to stop. Ig's light-on-a-stick can do the same thing, only better.
-Carl
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 12:32:54 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Carl

Yeah, plus it's much less noisy and cheaper! Trash cans aren't cheap any more.
-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778) --

What I am hoping wrt my light, is that I could use it for backing my truck to my trailer precisely. It is not bad, as it is, since i have a big lunette ring (as opposed to a ball coupler), but it woulld be great to have a light to help.
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 12:07:21 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

The light's a great idea, but its usefulness declines in comparison to a video feed. 'Course, it's a minimum of $60 cheaper, too.
Another possibility for rear viewing is a stake-mount rear view mirror like you see on USPS/UPS trucks and buses. It's a round convex mirror mounted at 45 degrees to the plane of the tailgate. Weld up a mount which would sit in the stake bed in the bedside rear pocket.
-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778) --

I tried backing to my trailer using my light yesterday. It works very well. If I place the light in a particular spot, and if I touch the stem lightly with the middle of my tailgate, I know that I am exactly where I should be to hook up.
I do, however, like your rear mirror idea and the camera idea for other reasons (not backing to trailer, as such).
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 09:05:09 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

Bueno. Got a piece of tape on the exact center of your tailgate?

Ah, I knew the voyeuristic tendencies would come out! <vbg>
--- Is it time for your medication or mine?

No, but there are some bolts in the middle so I know just where the middle is.

:)

Ah, thank you Carl.
I thought it sat on the ground and when you back up over it the light moves. The metal mask should be spring metal - like a CB antenna.
Kinda like the wheel stops used in shops that store cars... :-)
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/
Ignoramus25732 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Homemade-Trailer-With-M105A2-Bed/10-Trailer-Backing-Guide/

-
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 21:58:08 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn

I used a car antenna, which is springy, though not perfect. I would attach it to the tongue when hooking up the trailer to truck. If I see the light move due to the tailgate touching it, I know that I am done.