FOLLOWUP -- light for backing up in darkness

I went to AutoZone and bought something that fits my needs 100%. It is
a light on a suction+magnetic base that is 100 watt rated and can be
mounted on the roof of my pickup. It has a regular cig lighter
plug. Works great, though I have not yet had a chance to try it in the
darkness, but it works. It is very solidly made. Price is $30.
Ignoramus7365
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:58:04 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus7365 quickly quoth:
Now that I'm stripping that freebie 13' travel trailer, I picked up a pair of halogen driving lights from HF for $9 today. They're black resin and sport 55W H3 halogens. If I end up putting a pipe rack on the back of the new truck, I'll wire them into that, mounted sideways on the back uprights. That will be the equivalent of a pair of headlights pointing backwards, for use with or without a trailer.
I also didn't like their cheap trailer lights so I picked up a pair of the towing lights for $20.
While in Mudford, I stopped at Costco for $80 worth of gas and found a nice SURPRISE: they have Sumatran coffee beans back in stock!
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Afore you do that, please shine one of them on a garage door tonight and have a look at the light pattern.
A sideways mount will probably put a *lot* of light in the sky and the bed of your truck.
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 01:29:55 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Winston quickly quoth:
I thought about that, but feel it might light up the ground around the truck and trailer instead. I'll definitely do an o dark thirty trial run before welding up mounts. If you're right, I'll mount them in a 1/2" square stock w/ 1/8" plate cage on the inside edges of the rear arch.
We shall see.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Hi Iggy,
I was just wondering.... If you mounted the light(s) on your trailer, instead of your truck, the area your trailer is backing toward would be illuminated.
On the other hand, if you back a trailer the way I back a trailer, the only time a cab mounted light will illuminate the area I'm trying to back toward, is when I finally have everything lined-up straight, and then I don't need the light for backing anymore.
Once you're lined-up, the light on the trailer would illuminate the trailer bed and the area behind it, for loading purposes.
dennis in nca
Reply to
rigger
"Larry Jaques" wrote
I'm partial to those magnetic types. So much simpler than wiring up the harness, etc.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
I can use it in a variety of ways, on the trailer or on the truck, depending on what I need. I do like it, though it needs a longer cable. The 7' cable it has is barely adequate.
Ignoramus936
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:32:57 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus936 quickly quoth:
You'd better hire an electrician to replace that high-tension 12vdc line, Ig.
-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I saw a mouse, er, I mean a VOLE, in Iggy's garage - we need to file a restraining order and send in some "biologists" to do some "research."
Or, you can just donate a few hundred acres to the mafia, er, I mean The Nature Conservancy, and we can make this all go away.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Danniken

Site Timeline