Many-in-One ScrewDrivers ?

Looking for one of those screwdrivers that have many different bits that are sometimes stored in the handle. So you can easily change them without having to carry many different screwdrivers. The problem is that all that i see are cheap ones that get easily damaged when i use them. Are there more expensive all-in-one screwdrivers that have bits made of better metal? Are there screwdrivers like that that are electric?

Thanx for the tips in advance guys?

Reply to
Anonymous

For what it's worth... $nap-On makes an 8 in one pouch affair (SDDD44) thats excellent.

Has a handle and 4 double ended bits...

3/16" slot X #1 Phillips

1/4" slot X #2 Phillips

5/16" slot X #3 Phillips

T15 X T20 Torx

Had mine for years, keep it in the desk. The typical red $nap-On pouch measures about 4 3/4"W X 6 1/2"H.

I got it as a gift... just looked it up on their site. !!!WARNING!!!, NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART! (sorry about the long address, you may need to copy and paste to get it to work)

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Picked up an electrical one rated at 5000(?) volts at Walmart, been using it for about three years now on a regular basis. Replaced the #2 Phillips a couple of times and the lettering is worn off, but it still works good. If you want to go a little further upscale, Wiha has one also, I have one also, but tend to use the Walmart one as it fits in my pocket better.

Reply to
Bob Yates

Stanley use to make one in the pump type format but I don't know if they still do.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

The ones I like the most are called Megapro It has the bits in the handle. You pull the back of he handle out and the bits are snapped into a holder in the middle. The screwdriver is grey, and the backcaps come in several colors. They also make a yellow one with all stainless steel bits.

It has a good assortment of bits and the local chain that sells them, Tacoma Screw, also carries replacement bits. The bits are double ended and are held into the screwdriver by a ball-detent, not a magnet, so you don't end up with iron fuzz all over it.

Here is their homepage

Ernie Leimkuhler

Second this recommendation. Mine was made in the USA. The only problem I have with it is that it keeps getting borrowed. 8-(

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Cluthe brand . Not even expensive but pretty decent quality . Luck

Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

I bought a cheap version from Tractor Supply Co. My first use was lending it to my weak-armed wife who proceeded to bend the tip out of shape.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Xcelite is my definition of American made quality. (Cooper Tools)

wws

Brownells

sells a very nice line of handles and tips. If you break a tip they will replace it free. Not sure they have a storage handle but they do have some nice carrying kits.

The 1/4" bits are easily used in drill motors and electric screw drivers.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

I use the Craftsman ratcheting screwdriver. Uses standard quarter inch bits. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

I have several of these - even one of Snap-On's finest which my son-in-law gave me. Sadly, none of them are even close to the utility of the one belonging to SWMBO. It is a Klein Tools, Inc.

#32477, 10-in-1 screwdriver/nutdriver. It has 5/16" & 1/4" nut drivers, reversible screwdriver bits include: #2 Phillips-1/4" slotted, #1 Phillips-3/16" slotted, #15-#10 Torx and #1-#2 square-recess.

The great feature of this tool is that none of the bits are stored in the handle. Unscrewing the end of a handle, dumping a pile of bits out in your hand, selecting the right one, switching it with the one in the tool, then getting the rest of the bits back in the handle and screwing the lid on is a PIA. Then there's the time when the lid comes off accidentally, dumping the bits in the bilge.

With the Klein, all the bits are in the shaft. All you need to do is pull out and switch the shaft and your chosen bit is in place. It is also non-magnetic and uses ball detents. Now if I could just trade her for my Snap-On. . .

Rich S.

Reply to
Rich S.

You don't say where you are, but there is a FANTASTIC retractable bit driver built by Cluthe Products in Waterloo Ontario, sold exclusively in Canada by Home Hardware. see:

worth ordering one by mail from a listed dealer if you are not in Canada (pity)

Reply to
clare

Reply to
Anonymous

A Canadian product so you may have never seen one, Picquic drivers are excellent. The neat thing is that you have to use the bit you where using to get at the bit you want. As such, it's difficult to loose them. The bits are of high quality and I've never seen a busted handle (I sell them at work).

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Yes, the Megapro screwdriver rocks. I have several spread around the house, cars, and shop. I rarely use my expensive Snap-On drivers anymore. The tips are of fairly good quality, and the handle is large enough diameter to get a good grip.

BB

Reply to
beeperboy

I find the bits last quite long. The only ones I have damaged have been the slotted bits, and that was my fault.

I like the regular handle because it allows better reach. The Megalock is more of a stubby.

The nickle plated bits are for the marine version.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

You can still drop the bit while changing it. With the Benchmark (cluthe) unit is impossible to lose the bits.

Reply to
clare

There are -- or you can get replacement bits of higher quality.

What I find to be nice for certain purposes are sets made by Wiha, in which a set of bits are in a rack that slides into the flat package handle. In the package is also a metal shank with a magnetic socket for the short bits. This fits into a hex hole in the end of the package, to turn it into a screwdriver. They are available with various sets of bits, some more esoteric than others.

My preference for that are the ones which used to be made/sold by AEG, but are now sold under the Milwaukee and the Panasonic names (not much difference other than the color of the plastic). They have plug-in battery packs, a separate recharger, and a hinge between the battery pack housing and the motor/gearing housing. They are reversible, and have two speeds (one or two stages of planetary gearing), and an adjustable torque limit. I've got two of the AEG style (one from before the switchable speeds), and one Milwaukee (which is harder to lose in the shop, with its bright red housing).

The hinge between the battery compartment and the motor/gear section allows you to use it either straight, for working in restricted access positions, or folded to a proper pistol-grip angle, for greater torque ability, as it is easier to keep it from rotating.

I have tons of bits of different styles, including security Allen, Security torx, split straight blade, tri-wing, and something like a tri-wing (blades are tangent to the tip OD), but with four wings, as well as Robertson and several sizes of Phillips. Some of the torx ones (and others) are with long shanks, so they would be useful for reaching into the back of an old Macintosh to take the housing apart.

The one disadvantage of these electric ones is that there is no provision for storing tips in the screwdriver (the battery pack goes there), and there is provision for storing only three tips in the charger base. Small and normal Phillips (#1 & #2), plus a 1/4" straight blade.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to