Backing signal

Hi Group,

Can anyone tell me what kind of signal I require to signal the following ... LMS ex L&Y or ex LNWR set in the early 30's.

The train has to be brought to a halt on a doubled main line - say on teh up side (ordinary stop signal?) then and has to back in to a siding crossing the other main line (the down side) in the process.

Protecting the down line is easy, stopping the train on the up is easy but telling the driver of the up to "Oi go backwards - and be careful about it you daft begger" is proving a little problematical

I've looked at signalbox.com and railsigns.co.uk and googled like mad but am non the wiser ... the closest I can find is a GWR signal with a couple of holes in it and a Furness railway (?) signal shaped like a bow-tie.

TIA

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Chris,

For an ex LNWR line, if its secondary main line or branch there is a fair chance there wouldn't be a signal of any sorts !.

However if you want to provide one a generic solution would be a ground disc/discs - the guard would give the all clear, to the driver, to set back with hand signals / lamps.

If you want company specifics these would include

LNWR revolving disc. LNWR miniature arm.

LYR miniature arm.

HTH,

Reply to
David Skipsey

The message from Chris Wilson contains these words:

If the move isn't a normal timetabled move, then the train would be stopped at the signalbox (stopped at outer home, outer home pulled off, train starts and is then stopped by red flag at the box) for the driver to be told what to do. The signal would be a ground (shunt, or dummy) signal which would be interlocked with the crossover, facing the direction of the driver looking back along his train. IYSWIM.

Reply to
David Jackson

"David Skipsey" wrote in news:YLR5f.4964$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-win.ntli.net:

Cheers ... I haven't quite decided yet (although the track's laid!) whether it's ex L&Y or ex LNW. Is very secondry though ... not quite a branch but it will be a regular move ... think I'll go for the miniature arm option and have a bash at making it work.

Thanks muchly!

Reply to
Chris Wilson

David Jackson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk:

It's "semi-timetabled" that is, in reality it's backing a train on to my staging area, I'm pretending that it represents either (a) a move in to the cariage sidings or (b) a move in to a small marshalling yard set in a confined space ... depending on the stock being moved either way lots of regular stock movement hence the desirability to have it signalled.

Cheers 'tother Dave sugests the same thing, I'll go for a miniature arm at ground level.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Chris,

If you're doing it in 4mm then I'd recommend new glasses - the LNWR miniature arm is less than 1 foot across !

Good luck.

If you want to send me your trackplan I will signal it for you - or check it if you like. (I was the Signal Record Society "expert" on signalling on the Birkenhead Joint lines), not offended if you don't want to.

Reply to
David Skipsey

David,

Is that offer open to others? I am building a GWR layout and need guidance on positioning the basic signalling (home, starters and distance) and would welcome someone to tell me what needs to go where

Regards

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Oh yes, Dave loves kettles I saw him playing with them a few weeks ago in Manchester ;-)

Nick

Nick Gurney

Malcom,

Sure - send it through.

Reply to
David Skipsey

Oi,

I'll mention Peak Forest again if you're not careful ;>)

Reply to
David Skipsey

Cheers,

I'll draft up something and mail it to you sometime in the next day or so.

Thanks

Malcolm

David Skipsey wrote:

Reply to
Malcolm

In message , David Skipsey writes

"Expert" eh?

What do you know about a GWR backing signal with a fish-tail end (looks like a cross between a backing signal and a distant signal)?

(See Brian J Miller: "South Wales Railways at the Grouping", 1986, plate

41.)
Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Allegedly - but not on GWR.

I believe it was (one of very few ) a backing distant, it acted like a repeater for the actualy backing signal.

There was some discussion a while ago on the signalbox egroup and I *think* this is what the outcome was,

haven't got the book so can't look at the photo.

Reply to
David Skipsey

"David Skipsey" wrote in news:ipT5f.1914$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net:

So what you're saying is that if I get it wrong it'll be to small for folks to notice. :-)

Thanks.

That's very kind however I started of with one sheet of A3, liked bits and didn't like others so I then re-did some bits on another A3 and in due course yet another A3 in effect grids x1, x2, xn of one sheet, y1, y2, yn of another and even z1, z2 and zn etc of yet another. What this means is that I don't currently have a single track plan to send.

I am producing a schematic + outline for my website though, once hey're done I'll drop you a quick note asking for comments if that's ok?

Just going back a stage though to the miniature arm for backing up, presumably it would go in the 6'?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

LOL

Sure - send the link directly to me - or start a new thread.

Not necessarily ! although to the left of the running line is the normal position so Yes will do as an answer !, depends on curvature etc.

Reply to
David Skipsey