Trailer complete and tested (pictures)

I have completed all mechanical work on this trailer. The only thing left is to make an electrical box to contain a terminal block, breakaway battery, breakaway controller, battery charger, etc, and connect wires to lights. I will try to fit in a big enough battery so that I can perhaps get a 12V winch sometime in the future. I do not have some parts yet to complete that, hopefully I can be done next weekend.

Here are pictures of it hooked to my truck.

I took it for a 4 mile ride, including going over little bumps, it seems to hold up OK.

It also seems to have one bullet hole, see picture.

Ignoramus380

Ok Iggy. expect some hate E-mail from my bride. Now i want to build one!

really nice job. It should serve you well.

Reply to
Kerry

Reply to
JR North

thanks... I can visualize the bride situation, very well.

Ignoramus380

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 08:41:25 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus380 quickly quoth:

Pretty cool. I'll bet it rides stiffly with those low, short springs on it. Good job, dude.

Ah, character! Even better.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks. Yes, it does indeed ride stiffly, meaning that is bounces somewhat on various bumps, unloaded. I would have been surprised if that was not the case.

Yes... it is a historical artifact, by virtue of the bullet hole. Seems to have been made by a 7.62mm bullet that was flying at slower speed, to me.

Now I need to clean the garage...

Ignoramus380

I'd be welding some husky steel hoops around those "suspended" tail lamps, or you'll knock them off, sure as shootin'.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Maybe I will do it. They are actually mounted on some well welded perforated steel angle.

Ignoramus380

It's what is , or in this case is NOT below them that worries me. Yes, they are SOMEWHAT protected by the ends of the tailer frame, but still very vulnerable to being backed into something. Up here the big culprit would be frozen snow banks.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

It is pretty normal to get the appropriate piece of pipe or tube that is a reasonable fit around the lights that is hard welded to the frame. House the lights inside a 4-6" piece, sure saves a few lenses.

Reply to
DanG

Reply to
clutch

Looks like a fine trailer. It should give you years of service bringing home your 'finds'.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Don't know about IL, but in MN you must cross the safety chains -- and it isn't a bad idea even in IL. Also, I would have the hooks other-way-round on the tow vehicle end (tag end of hook pointing down) and I would mouse them with bits of rubber (innertube works) with punched holes.

Reply to
Don Foreman

OK, thanks gentlemen. I will see if I have appropriate metal pieces, and if so, I will add that to my todo list. I have generally been good at using my trailer (boat) without accidents, but it never hurts to be a little protected.

Ignoramus380

They are crossed.

I like the mousing idea. I will definitely find some rubber that can still stay elastic in cold temps.

Ignoramus380

So when are you taking Nick out for a spin it it - I know he's dying for the opportunity

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

| >Here are pictures of it hooked to my truck. | >

| >I took it for a 4 mile ride, including going over little bumps, it | >seems to hold up OK. | | Pretty cool. I'll bet it rides stiffly with those low, short springs | on it. Good job, dude. | |

I'm not sure but it does seem in the photos that there's not enough clearance between the tire and the upper part of the splash guard. Can you carry substantial amount of load without the trailer sagging low enough for tire to rub against anything?

Reply to
Finalizer

Based on my conversations with axle manufacturer, yes.

Ignoramus380

Yeahh... preferably strapped into a steel high chair welded into the trailer. Do a few good tyre-squealing turns to make sure everything handles well. And don't forget the "farm track at 50mph" test to ensure it can take some bumps. Do it right and Nick can save the money on his cancelled no longer necessary colonic irrigation...

RS.

Reply to
Richard Smith

Reply to