Tried running the quincy compressor

I hooked it up to my phase converter, which provider 17.5 horsepower of idler capacity. (also finally changed plugs and connectors from some 120/208 weirdness to 250/3p/20A standard plugs of which I have a lot).

It did start. And it did pump.

The furst thing I must say is that I AM FUCKING IMPRESSED with how quiet this Quincy is. I thought that all this bragging about Quincys is just elitism and showing off. It is not. It is many times quieter than my seemingly decent 5 HP Curtis.

It is roughly as loud as an adult farting, and burping at the same time after eating 3 lbs of sauerkraut.

Having googled some discussions about how a compressor is harder to start when there is some air in it, I stopped and restarted it several times at various pressures. Finally, at 100 PSI, the circuit breaker blew.

I hope that with a VFD, it will not be the case. The motor is 30 amp rated, so, at 95% power factor and 96% efficiency, I would get about

30*1.73/0.95/0.96=56 amp incoming.

I will get the drive on Friday and will try this weekend, though I have a lasik surgery on Friday, so I am not sure if I will be able to.

I feel very fortunate that I put it on a dolly and can move it about easily.

This was a very fun evening.

Ignoramus705

This gives me hope for not blowing out my ears even with hearing protection for my Quincy.

(snip)

From my experience, you won't want to do much Friday. Saturday will be better, but things will probably feel a bit 'off' as you get used to no contacts/glasses (assuming you are getting mono-vision or the like). By Sunday you should feel mostly normal. Sleeping as early as possible Friday will probably help too.

Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

I doubt you need it. Still have the ebay item id for yours? Just curious what you got.

Definitely I will not do anything on Friday, and maybe even early Sat. Thanks/

Ignoramus705

Yep!

Correction: (assuming you are *NOT* getting mono-vision or the like)

Hope it works out as well for you as it did for me.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Very nice looking one, looks like QR-25. One more step above mine.

Ignoramus705

Nope! They're a quality piece of equipment, built to go the distance. I have owned mine, a 5 horse horizontal, 80 gallon tank, purchased new, for more than 38 years now. It's been a lot of trouble. Had to replace a gasket on the crankcase, and the oil seal on the crank.

Oh, yeah. Changed the oil a time or two as well.

Likely just because you started and stopped it several time, until the breaker had grown hot. Quincy compressors have hydraulic unloading, so they don't start against the pressure in the tank. Good compressors all have that feature.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Ignoramus705 wrote: (snip)

Yep, it has the Model 390 compressor head on it, which with a 20 HP motor is rated for 67 CFM @ 175psi. Here is their promo literature for it:

About a 1.3M .pdf file.

This is the parts manual, 1.2M .pdf file:

This is the instruction manual, 2.2M .pdf file:

Todd Rich

Thanks Todd, I just downloaded them. Let me know how yours runs once you get it running. Did you hear from the power company?

Ignoramus22168

Ignoramus22168 wrote: (snip)

Yes and no. I got a call Friday when somebody and the power company was going over my application. It says that they can take from 6 to 13 weeks to do an install, so I put the requested date as Feb 1, 2008, figuring I wouldn't put any time pressure on them. Well, it turns out that as of Jan

1, 2008, they are getting rid of the lower of the two power rates for 3 phase. The lower rate is the one that has a minimum peak draw of 10KW, and monthly bills run about $15 minimum. The other rate has a minimum peak draw of 25KW, and the minimum bill runs about $220 a month. So I now have a deadline. If they can hook it up before Jan 1, I'll be grandfathered in on the lower rate. If not, I can't meet the draw, though I can possibly get single phase run out there at 200 amps, which would let me make a phase converter.

Also got a call yesterday from somebody else at the power company, who told me my application has 3-phase requested in one area, and single phase in another...WTF? She seemed to want me to say I wanted single phase so she could handle it right then. When I insisted that I needed 3-phase, she said that there would be a different engineer assigned to me then.

I'll be calling back today and see if I can talk to whoever gets assigned and make sure it gets done in time. The first guy I talked to said to call him back if I hadn't heard anything in a week's time, but given I've got a maximum 9 1/2 weeks with holidays thrown it, I don't think patience is a virtue here...

Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Will they be able to change rates in the future?

Ignoramus22168

(snip)

My understanding is they shouldn't be able to force me off the rate plan, but that increases or decreases in the rate can happen. And I'm hoping down the road that I will be making enough money off of what I'm going to be doing that if the rate gets changed, it will still be worth it to keep the 3-phase. Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

That's great (that they could not force you off the plan).

I would definitely take 3 phase with 15/month minimum, if I could.

$220/month, is way too much for me even if I use one leg for single phase.

Ignoramus22168

(snip)

Well, just got off of the phone with the engineer. He just got assigned to the job this morning. He verified some information with me, got the HP ratings of all my 3-phase motors (I've got a 2 and 1 HP 3-ph motors that I run off of a VFD currently), and what I was planning on doing with them. He will be out to look at the property early next week, and if he has any questions, he will meet with me that Friday (as my hours are flexible). He didn't know too much about the rate changes, which I can understand, as the guy who let me know had only gotten the memo a few days prior. However, he does know now about my deadline. He said they run about 2-3 weeks on work orders, so I might be able to get it running by mid-to-late November. Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

This is fantastic!

Ignoramus22168

Yup, I have no muffling at all on my QR-25 model 210, and it is quiet enough to work next to for a few minutes. I'm real careful with my hearing, so I put on ear protectors if I'm going to be working near it for more than that. It was twice as loud at 450 RPM on a 1 Hp motor, when I went to a 2 Hp motor and changed the pulley to get 915 RPM, I was a bit surprised when it got quieter. I think the intake valves were bouncing at 450 RPM.

Mine is definitely louder than that, I think. Maybe it is just because it keeps going longer.....

Did you defeat the unloaders for this test, or are they not working?

Ohh, Nooooooo! Hasn't anyone warned you that you corneas will never heal after that? That flap will always be a bit loose! Anyway, with all the eye patches and warnings, I don't think you'll be fooling around in the driveway for a couple days.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

WAY, WAY bigger. I have a QR-25, model 210, which is at the small end, 2 Hp 6.3 CFM. The 390 is HUGE, 69.2 CFM ! The low pressure piston is 7 inches in diameter! YOW! 1750 Lbs with the tank! The QTH-10 is still good for 35 CFM, which is plenty for most jobs.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

(snip)

Well, I got the one with a 200 gallon tank on it, not the 120 gallon one. That pushes the weight up to 2010 Lbs. I had a little trouble when I was telling people how heavy it was who were supposed to help me move it. The "It weighs a ton" got translated mentally to just "Its heavy", with heavy = much less than 2000#s.

Of course mine has only a 15 HP motor on it, rather than the 20 HP motor that it is supposed to have. That may bump the weight down below 1 ton.

Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

One thing that made moving my compressor easier, is that when I was picking it up, I asked the rigger to put it on my wooden cart on casters. I then fixed tiedowns around it so that it sits snug on the cart.

That made unloading from the trailer totally trivial, since I have very sturdy ramps:

I simply slid it down the ramp, slowing it down with a rope that was wrapped twice around the winch fairlead. It was as easy as eating pie. Took about 10 minutes.

I would not use my cart for a compressor that is eas heavy as yours, though.

Ignoramus20839

Todd I have that same pump with a 20hp motor running and it's very noisy. I have a huge intake silencer on it and it helps but it's still bad. @ 20hp it takes over 135 amps @ 480V to spin it up ! Yours will be better as it's turning slightly slower at the 15hp motor's power level but I bet it's not quite either....

William...

Reply to
William

Aaannnd, we're back to noisy...