Ignoramus10353

Make sure the chains are crossed under the tongue and short enough that the tongue cannot hit the pavement when slung on the chain. If the hitch hits the ground it will snap even a good chain.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:09:12 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, clare at snyder.on.ca quickly quoth:

Backing into a frozen snow bank with husky steel hoops around them would still leave husky-steel-hoop-shaped divots in the snow with chunks of red taillight lens in them. Hoops might help when he drives straight off the curb with a load, though.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh shit yes. And keep in mind that HF has sales on taillight kits reguarly. I keep a spare set on hand at all times.

Not so much because I back into things..but folks and forklift operators seemt to zoom in on them. And Ive got hoops on mine

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

And it will only be one way......

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

I will do that, but if I have to replace a tail light one day, no big loss.

Ignoramus10353

Too risky! Iggy's weld will certainly break. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Uh, I said the same thing...my trailer hasn't been inspected in 2 years cuz after my son nicked a guard rail in a construction zone and busted the right rear housing I just haven't gotten back to fixing it. My first thought was HE should but we all know a 24yr old won't. Instead he handed me a $20 and said "I don't know nothing about wiring that stuff. I'll pay for the replacement though, Dad. Sorry" I guess I should be glad my new truck didn't get hurt and get around to fixing it before I get the ticket.

BTW he is an engineer (plumbing HVAC stuff) And I did offer to show him...

Reply to
Kerry

It is funny that you talk about "24 year olds" like they were kids or something...

Ignoramus3585

Rule: Anyone younger than yourself is a toddler. Anyone older than yourself is a geezer.

Reply to
Pete C.

It doesn't take much distance to grind a chain in half.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Thank you. Having all those pages written up, also makes these pages loook good to google, so quite a few people come visit after being referred by search engines.

A lunette hitch is all around a lot easier to work with. I have a boat with a ball hitch. Makes it a pain to align with the truck.

That's a great idea, I think that for those cases, I can take jackstands.

Thanks... I am working on its electrical box right now, it is kind of fun and includes some electronics like status LEDs. I appreciate your comments greatly.

Ignoramus3585

If the chain is properly sized it will never touch the ground. If it is properly installed, the tongue won't either.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

WELL1 Aren't they? When youre looking at the population from

74 even up to 30 seem like kids. :-) And then some individules never grow up. :-) ...lew...
Reply to
Lew Hartswick

WOW!!! That is a smart looking trailer. Nice job.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Looks great. I really like those drop down cranks, don't you? And the bullet hold just gives it a final touch.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thank you Gordie... It mostly looks good because its bed has a beautiful cute appearance. It resembles certain female forms when you look at how it widens at the bottom. This rigid bed also made fitting the frame and keeping it distortion free, easy. My frame is nothing unusual and it is not particularly well done (nor it is particularly ugly), though I tried to keep some frame proportions visually appealing.

I have become a little concerned that police might question its homemade status. That is not so much because of workmanship, but because the bed does not look homemade. So I made copies of all receipts, including government liquidation invoice etc, and will include them in the trailer's electrical box. The originals are kept at home.

The project was not conceptually difficult. I spent most of the time going back and forth and remeasuring everything many times. The most difficult parts were vertical welds and also turning the bed over, twice.

Ignoramus3585

The bullet hole makes it a little historical artifact. Maybe, one day when I have nothing to do, I can find out just where it got its bullet hole. I doubt that it was in Iraq. The camo pattern is not desert and there is a little too much rust for a 2-3 year old bullet hole. Probably it happened in Vietnam. These are amateur conclusions. Would be great to find a veteran who drove a truck with this trailer. He'd probably not appreciate my effort to find out.

Reply to
Ignoramus3585

I once owned a 1967 Chrysler Newport Convertible. That was in 1972. It had a 383 cid engine with a four barrel carb. It was strong, and had highway gears. A pure D cruiser, almost as long and wide as the Queen Mary. I wish I still had it.

Anyway, it had been owned by a gentleman (?) who used to have stripper girlfriends. It also had two bullet holes in it.

When I saw your bullet holes, I immediately thought of the Newport.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Have no idea. There was no accident so we didn't stop. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk