Thread-forming taps for small thread sizes

Do the above for 1-64 and 2-56 inch thread sizes exist anywhere?

Do the above for 1-64 and 2-56 inch thread sizes exist anywhere?
I use this size in my work. McMasterCarr. they have a web site. Order them by the set.
Bob AZ
Oparr wrote:

Yes. And smaller. Any machinist supply will have them. The ever popular McMaster-Carr, MSC, et al. I get tools from Western Tool quite often, and have many times gotten better pricing than the same or like item from MSC. Nation wide chains don't always have the best prices. The smaller guys need the business too, and can be very competitive.
michael

Thread-cutting or thread-forming? Already have 1-64 and 2-56 thread-cutting taps from McMaster-Carr. They don't stock any inch size below 4-40 in thread-forming taps unless I'm missing something.

MSC's got form taps down to 0-80. Around $12.00 a pop.... literally.
Found them. Thanks.

Oparr wrote:

Pay very close attention to size of drilled hole. In these smaller sizes a large percentage of thread will be lost if your drilled hole is oversized.
michael
michael wrote:

And the tap will snap if it's a thou undersize too :-)
fred

Following MMC's chart for thread-cutting taps so the drilled hole will be undersized for form taps. The material is 1/16" aluminum sheet so I'm using either taper or plug (where tapers aren't available) taps. In tests, cut threads are reamed if screws are intentionally overtightened but formed threads hold up nicely. The only downside to using an undersized hole in this case seems to be more chip cutting during the forming process. Again, we're talking thru holes in 1/16" aluminum.

Sounds about right, that thin of material the additional stress of an undersized hole would be severely negated. If you still have problems, you might look into installing PEM's

    If you want a chart for the holes for form taps, look in _Machinery's Handbook_. You'll find some sizes actually need metric drills as the closest fit.

    Thread forming taps are supposed to give superior threads by work-hardening the material.
    [ ... ]

    Amen! For a cut thread in 0-80 the difference between the tap drill and the clearance drill is only 0.013" -- and a smaller difference for a form tap.
    Good Luck,         DoN.