Thread-forming taps for small thread sizes

Do the above for 1-64 and 2-56 inch thread sizes exist anywhere?

Reply to
Oparr

Do the above for 1-64 and 2-56 inch thread sizes exist anywhere?

I use this size in my work. McMasterCarr. they have a web site. Order them by the set.

Bob AZ

Reply to
RWatson767

Yes. And smaller. Any machinist supply will have them. The ever popular McMaster-Carr, MSC, et al. I get tools from Western Tool quite often, and have many times gotten better pricing than the same or like item from MSC. Nation wide chains don't always have the best prices. The smaller guys need the business too, and can be very competitive.

michael

Reply to
michael

Thread-cutt> >

Reply to
oparr

MSC's got form taps down to 0-80. Around $12.00 a pop.... literally.

Reply to
Mtlgd

Found them. Thanks.

Reply to
Oparr

Pay very close attention to size of drilled hole. In these smaller sizes a large percentage of thread will be lost if your drilled hole is oversized.

michael

Reply to
michael

And the tap will snap if it's a thou undersize too :-)

fred

Reply to
ff

Follow> >

Reply to
Oparr

Sounds about right, that thin of material the additional stress of an undersized hole would be severely negated. If you still have problems, you might look into installing PEM's

Reply to
Mtlgd

If you want a chart for the holes for form taps, look in _Machinery's Handbook_. You'll find some sizes actually need metric drills as the closest fit.

Thread forming taps are supposed to give superior threads by work-hardening the material.

[ ... ]

Amen! For a cut thread in 0-80 the difference between the tap drill and the clearance drill is only 0.013" -- and a smaller difference for a form tap.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols