Clearcoat for metals

Guy Lautard referred me to:

This sounded so good I had to try some. I've been looking for a good clearcoat for a long time. Never did find the stuff Ted recommended.

This is a good product. After polishing up a piece of brass and then cleaning it well with lacquer thinner and then denatured alcohol, I followed the direction of just wiping the stuff on with a piece of material from an old T-shirt. Everbrite cautions that the workpiece must be absolutely flawlessly clean for the coating to work well.

It went on easily with no bubbles, drip, sags, orangepeel, or even dust specks. It just levels out and visually disappears. The only way I could tell that it was coated was by smelling it.

I can't attest to the durability of the stuff, but testimonials on their website seem to. I've put my test specimen outdoors where it shall remain in all weather to see what happens. I'll make another test piece to age indoors.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Grant Erwin

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:42:35 -0500, Don Foreman calmly ranted:

Don, does anyone make a similar nylonic polymer resin which doesn't cost nearly TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS PER GALLON?

Maybe I'll try some of the Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. It appears to cover about 10x more area for about the same price. Has anyone here used that as a brass sealant?

------------------------------ Gator: The other white meat! ------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Don Foreman

I detest marketing of phony products like this. Just tell us what it is, OK?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

They say it is a nylonic poymer resin. A google search on that hit

You can buy Nyalic in an aerosol can from Eastwood for about half the cost of a spraycan from Everbrite. I *thought* I recognized the odor!

I have used the Eastwood Nyalic, didn't get results nearly as good as wiping on Everbrite with a rag.

Guys, I don't care if you use this stuff or not! I merely reported it because it fills a long-unmet need in my shop. YMMV.

Reply to
Don Foreman

In article , Don Foreman wrote: :They say it is a nylonic poymer resin. A google search on that hit :

:You can buy Nyalic in an aerosol can from Eastwood for about half the :cost of a spraycan from Everbrite. I *thought* I recognized the odor! : :I have used the Eastwood Nyalic, didn't get results nearly as good as :wiping on Everbrite with a rag. : :Guys, I don't care if you use this stuff or not! I merely reported :it because it fills a long-unmet need in my shop. YMMV.

Nyalic can not (now?) be found at eastwoodcompany.com . The manufacturer indicates that Nyalic is available only through "authorized applicators." See

.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

I've used Collinite #845 Insulator wax on brass. It works OK indoors on brass that is never touched. Wax doesn't last long on a doorknob or kickplate. The Maguiar's stuff is engineered to bond to and protect paint. It might be a very good wax, but brass isn't the same as paint.

You think $200 a gallon is excessive, eh? That's 16 cents per square foot.

1/16" brass goes for about $14/sq ft ($5.06/lb) in small qty. Even if you can get it as coilstock for $2/lb, 1200 sq ft would cost you $6720. Neglecting the cost of labor to polish it, the incremental cost of the finish is about 3%.

Then there's the labor to polish it. That would be a panel 1 ft high and 400 yards long. Let's say you can polish a square foot of brass in a minute. (You're very fast!) 1200 minutes is 20 hours.

Now now much is durability of finish worth? Perhaps zip if you don't care once the goods are gone and paid for.

I'm pleased with the stuff (so far), YMMV.

Reply to
Don Foreman