Looking for black plastic

Anyone know where I can find a block of black plastic or Lucite? I want a piece 1 x 4 x 9 inches. Just one block of black plastic in those dimensions. If they
look familiar, it's to be a 2001:A Space Odyssey monolith. I've been all over the internet and can't find anyplace where I can get it. Plenty of places sell plastic and lucite but not one piece in these dimensions. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 26, 10:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I've no idea where to find a 1x4x9 piece of black plastic. I just cut one to size and paint it. Are you doing a diorama?
Add pictures here
✖
Evergreen does make black styrene sheets -- you could put one together from a section of their sheet.
Cookie Sewell
Add pictures here
✖
On 27/11/2010 1:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The monolith as used in the movie was matte black - Kubrick wanted it dead black, so that it soaked up any light falling on it. I have somewhere a book on the making of 2001 where one of the crew recalls Kubrick going absolutely nutso when one of the set people touched it with bare hands, leaving greasy marks behind...
IMO, make it from plastic card (or balsa?), give it a coat of spray putty, sand it smooth then paint it the flattest black you can find.
RobG (The Aussie one)
Add pictures here
✖
RobG wrote:

... and rub it down with ground pencil graphite, if I remember that correctly.
--
-Jack

Add pictures here
✖
On 3/12/2010 12:34 AM, Jack Bohn wrote:

Holy cave paintings Batman... I thought I was a geek... :D
RobG (the Aussie one)
Add pictures here
✖

they allow geeks in au?
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 26, 9:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Don't forget in 2010, it turned into millions and millions of clones...
Add pictures here
✖

von neuman machines. they ate jupiter and converted it to hydrogen.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 30, 10:11 am, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) wrote:

t a> > piece

If> > they

ll > >over

ces> > sell

te > >any

Talk about gas after eating!
Add pictures here
✖

don't light that fart!
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 26, 7:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

in the SF Bay Area there is a place called TAP plastics....you have this store in your neck of the woods? they have plastic in all shapes/ sizes.
Craig
Add pictures here
✖