What do I need?

I have been very happy with my "engine hoist". It is a Harbor Freight

2 ton model, with nice 5" casters welded on and a air powered jack. i
Reply to
Ignoramus30106

I want to make a hoist, and add some muscle to things I don't want to muscle. Like a tilt dump trailer. Places where a long ram cylinder would be the answer, but without all the pieces and parts.

Should I be looking for a hydraulic lift assembly, or are there slow speed actuators that would do the same thing without all the pumps and parts of a hydraulic setup. Max lifting weight .......... 500#, mostly lots less than that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A hoist or a lift?

Hoists I have a number of.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

One of these and a few spare couplers will let you make use of surplus hydraulic cylinders:

I haven't found any second-hand electric jackscrews that were long and powerful enough to be worthwhile. I'd consider a boat trailer winch with either a short mast or a pulley-operated scissors jack to raise the bed. Telescoping ham radio antennas are anther good model for converting a pull into a push.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Didn't we go through this before? surpluscenter.com has some 12V linear actuators in 500# and 1000# capacities I believe. They also have hydraulic cylinders and remote hand pumps.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've got one of those... great machine, but now it sits idle. I use the front loader on my tractor for most lifting now. I've also got a ten ton porta power. Bought it to bend a wrought iron gate where the fence has shifted over the last 12-13 years. Its awesome. I have used the mini ram to lift a safe and place rollers under it for moving, to bend C-channel, and a few other things. I wish the wedge would handle a little more umph, but its an awesome hand operated hydraulic.

I also, recently (two years ago) picked up an air operated 12 (or was it 20) ton jack for my press. That jack is great. It spends more time out of the press than in it. I use it in the shop as a regular jack all the time. It gets as much use as my wagon/farm/offroad jack does.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Port-o-Powers are super handy for all kinds of stuff, and I use my little tractor loader for a lot of lifting, but the engine hoist is most useful in the shop for getting the rotary table on and off the Bridgeport.

Reply to
Pete C.