I want to learn how to make knifes.

I want to learn who to make knifes. I wish to learn different process of how to do it. If some one can help me sending FAQs, How To΄s, links or advice, I would be greatfull.
Thanks.
Add pictures here
βœ–

How do we know you're not planning to use those knives for the evil that men do?
Add pictures here
βœ–

He posts under the name "Charles Bronson", and he managed to avoid the one very obvious group that's most relevant. What do you reckon ?
So sorry, no reply from here.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Cool as anything, Jason! :) Scan off some pictures of the stuff as you go... Looking forward to seeing your progress! :)
I like as simple as I can get them, no bells and whistles for me, no matter who makes it. YMMV
There's nothing all that hard about making a knife if it's kept simple. With a little more know how, I managed to make them simpler later than my early ones. ;) Tile drilling bits for the HSS power hacksaw blades was a major mile stone. :) Learning to heat treat the low alloy steels (like your saw blades) was an early mile stone that made pocket knife blade replacement posible.
One thing I'm still wrestling with is re-heat treating files. :/ Sometimes they don't turn out right and I want to get that problem figured out.
You won't have the same problem with the old saw blades they have some metal alloying in them that prevents the "file problem".

LOL! :)
Alvin in AZ
Add pictures here
βœ–
Charles Bronson wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?num 0&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=knife+making&spell=1
--
9/11/2004
6:38 PM [GMT-8]

www.bladeforums.com/books/knifemaking.html "At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:14:37 -0300, "Charles Bronson"

If you have any specific questions, Id be happy to help you out.
I cannot teach you 10,000 yrs of the art over this newsgroup <G> but I can maybe steer you in the right direction
Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah. :/ It's like... get back on here (switch to rec.knives) and at least give us a clue as the where to start. :)
My newest one...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/bandsawL.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/bandsawR.jpg
Nobody has to like it... I like it enough for all of us! :)
It's not like I like all my knives, 6 months ago I made the ugliest knife I ever saw. :/ It's just that I -really- like the looks of this one is all. :) I'm going to make myself one like it someday except I'm going to use better steel.
It's got a problem with the handles, I ground them off too short...
You see... the handle pin holes are drilled and lined up with temporary pins so the "front end" of the handle slabs can be finished up and length perfectly matching... :)
Problem was it was my first time using my little hand grinder with sanding disks, I was having a real good time wackin that wood down faster and easier than I'd ever done it before and no splintering either! :) It was great, just didn't realize how much wood was being removed.
-.050" thick re-heat-treated bandsaw blade steel - hickory from the woodworker's supply store (going to switch back to my own mesquite) - handle pins are 16d finishing nails (11 gauge = ~.122" diameter) - urethane glue to seal the wood/steel junction
No reason for it not to out live me. :)
It kinda reminds me of Renee Z's knife in Cold Mountain.
Alvin in AZ (hobby knifemaker)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 06:16:35 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Chuckle..you were one of the resources I was going to misdirect the poor bastard to. <G>
Hey..need a nice gas fired furnace? I picked one up the other day. About 12"x12" x 20" deep. Nice counterweighted door with peep hole.
The entire thing is about 300lbs, probably 2x2x3 feet.
Its located in Newport Beach California at the moment. I was gonna offer it to Big John Delevan, but he may already have one.
Id make someone a hell of a deal on it. And the ceramic is in minty shape, so its good to go. Might want to redo the burner and air mixer for propane though..shrug. its easy.
Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Add pictures here
βœ–

I really should take you up on that. :) Just a few days ago at an auction pre-veiw there was a whole barn's full of stuff that had got burned.
Cool old stuff! :) But now they are annealed as anything... some of it could be re-heat treated and put back to work. First thing that comes to mind is the really nice old brush-hook head. Do some grinding/thinning and re-heat treat it ...better than new. :)
There was also a 2+1/2 to 3 foot diameter sawmill blade. My friend was supposed to bid on that for me... couldn't get ahold of him last night so don't know if I got it or not.
If I get that sawmill blade I guess I'll have to make some "tough knives". ;)
Alvin in AZ ps- I don't make "tough knives" figuring there's more than enough of them out there already, I want to make "edge-holding knives" pps- high speed steel, power hacksaw blade knives are my best ones
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:32:57 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Get to LA very often? Know anyone coming this way with the capacity to haul it back?

Damned near all of it can be rebuilt. Fire is steels friend.

ooooooo!!
Indeed. Might even do some trading with you. Got a nice furnace with no place to put it <G>

Ayup. Lots of touch knives that are crowbar sharp.
Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Add pictures here
βœ–

Heck no. :(
I learned about you and your exploits (a.c.m) right after my girl friend stopped driving a truck back and forth to LA. (as far as making money, she -just about broke even- on that #%^&in' job!)

Alot of it's warped just a little, like the saw blade and old spiral drill bits.
A lot of old tack and other really cool really old stuff. All I saw and wanted was the saw blade and the brush hook (for a friend) but it needs a bigger furnace to fix it than I have.

Cool. :)
Alvin in AZ
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 06:16:35 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Nice, it looks a lot like two I have in my kitchen , the two that get the most use of all my kitchen knives. I like the generous handle, with size XXL hands it's hard to find off-the-shelf knives that are comfortable to work with.
Bear
The first rays of dawn make the mushrooms scream. I think with careful cultivation I can make them do "Ode to Joy".
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sorry, the dimensions of the real knife would dissapoint you. :/ The handle is just barily 4" long. :/
The proportions are cool to me, a guy could make a bigger one from wider steel. Also the steel is pretty thin at .050".
That was a hunk of a 110 foot bandsaw blade my buddies picked up for me along the railroad on the dry lake between Cochise and Willcox.
Turns out it's not carbon steel but instead boron steel. (no carbon, instead .002% boron and the rest kinda like L6)
That knife was a test to see if the dangged stuff would hold an edge or not... guessing it does, about like, maybe a little better than, a factory Old Hickory or Case Old Forge. Not good enough for me. :/ (need to make another for better testing tho)
But it looks cool. ;)
Alvin in AZ ps- its promised to my new daughter in law pps- she can get another, better edge holder, later ;)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:52:51 +0000, alvinj wrote:

Fun stuff to be found on the playa. Check out the site of the train wreck just off Cochise Stronghold Road, where the rail line heads for the plant.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

Add pictures here
βœ–

You a railroader? You in Willcox? Ex-Bowie signal maintainer here.
What's going on at the derailment site?
Hmmm... "train wreck" instead of "derailment site" "rail line" instead of "spur" I'm going to guess you ain't no railroader. ;)
But still, what's to be found at the derailment site? :)
Alvin in AZ (retired dumb-railroader) ps- how about a 5 cent knife, guys? :) used rail-saw blade (high speed steel power hacksaw blade) broken hickory spike-maul handle (sliced on a table saw) 16d finishing nails (annealed, cut and peened into place)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/dpBH.jpg (droppoint,butcherhandle)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/dpBH1.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/dpBH2.jpg
the hollow grinding is under .015" thick ...use tile bits to drill the 63 to 65 hrc HSS given to a cowboy in the boot heel of New Mexico the final edge's sharpening angle is less than a straight razor!
Add pictures here
βœ–
This was a blade that I did by stock removel I started out with a piece of A2 one half inch thick, spanked it once with a 3500 pound drop forge hammer that took it down to about 7/32" thick, I just sat down at the belt grinder (14 inch dia X 3 inch wide contact wheel) and sort of let the blade come out the way it wanted to rather than working to any pre-set design. When I got it done I gave it to my Mom for Christmas, after heat treat the blade tested out at 63 Rockwell C
http://www.geocities.com/bearsbugbox/Moms.jpg
I thought it came out pretty nice, Bear
Add pictures here
βœ–
bear wrote: ...

Right purty. A fine gift.
--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.