I want to learn how to make knifes.

He posts under the name "Charles Bronson", and he managed to avoid the one very obvious group that's most relevant. What do you reckon ?

So sorry, no reply from here.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It seens to be a cool knife for brazilian/argentina barbecure.

escreveu na mensagem news:ci0pk3$pmd$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com...

Reply to
Charles Bronson

I'm not all that tall, at least compared to my younger brother or either of my grandfathers, but I do have very broad shoulders and the first thing Dad ever heard about me after "It'l a boy" was "My God look and the big hands and feet on that kid!". The grip on a WWII Marine Corp combat knife is small to the point of feeling cramped, to fit my hand right I need at least a 5 1/2 inch grip on a chopping or slicing kitchen knife. That dagger you made would have felt wonderful to me.

I'll have to give the strobes and MIDI set-up at try,, trouble is no one can hear them but me,,,,,

Bear

Reply to
bear

I did that very same thing one a knife I made for my little sister, that was after I made the mistake of epoxying the grips on before finishing wth front edge of the slabs on the knife I made for my other sister, I don't recommend finishing the front of the grips after mounting them,, it took a very long time ;o)

I got it all right by the time I made Mom's hunting knife. When they get back from vacation I'll have her get out her digital camera and take a couple of pictures of that one and the one I made Dad.

yea well, I guess it's all part of the learning curve, good judgement comes from experience,, most of that comes from bad judgement.

Bear

Reply to
bear

That is a very good book. I talked our local library into getting a copy because the $50 price tag scared me off, but now I can say that even at full price it's well worth it. I have gone through it so many times. I've almost worn that copy out myself.

Another good reference is "How to Make Knives" by Richard W. Barney, Robert W. Loveless

Another thing you can do is subscribe to both "Blade" and " Knives Illustrated " magazines, a wealth of info in almost every issue.

Bear

PS: Don't get discouraged when you find that very many books contradict each other, there are many different ways do do most anything, the main thing is to use the method that works best for you, taking in, your experience level, the kind of materials you are working with and what the job is for the tool you are making.

Reply to
bear

Fun stuff to be found on the playa. Check out the site of the train wreck just off Cochise Stronghold Road, where the rail line heads for the plant.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

You a railroader? You in Willcox? Ex-Bowie signal maintainer here.

What's going on at the derailment site?

Hmmm... "train wreck" instead of "derailment site" "rail line" instead of "spur" I'm going to guess you ain't no railroader. ;)

But still, what's to be found at the derailment site? :)

Alvin in AZ (retired dumb-railroader) ps- how about a 5 cent knife, guys? :) used rail-saw blade (high speed steel power hacksaw blade) broken hickory spike-maul handle (sliced on a table saw) 16d finishing nails (annealed, cut and peened into place)

(droppoint,butcherhandle)
the hollow grinding is under .015" thick ...use tile bits to drill the 63 to 65 hrc HSS given to a cowboy in the boot heel of New Mexico the final edge's sharpening angle is less than a straight razor!

Reply to
alvinj

Cool as anything, Jason! :) Scan off some pictures of the stuff as you go... Looking forward to seeing your progress! :)

I like as simple as I can get them, no bells and whistles for me, no matter who makes it. YMMV

There's nothing all that hard about making a knife if it's kept simple. With a little more know how, I managed to make them simpler later than my early ones. ;) Tile drilling bits for the HSS power hacksaw blades was a major mile stone. :) Learning to heat treat the low alloy steels (like your saw blades) was an early mile stone that made pocket knife blade replacement posible.

One thing I'm still wrestling with is re-heat treating files. :/ Sometimes they don't turn out right and I want to get that problem figured out.

You won't have the same problem with the old saw blades they have some metal alloying in them that prevents the "file problem".

LOL! :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Heck no. :(

I learned about you and your exploits (a.c.m) right after my girl friend stopped driving a truck back and forth to LA. (as far as making money, she -just about broke even- on that #%^&in' job!)

Alot of it's warped just a little, like the saw blade and old spiral drill bits.

A lot of old tack and other really cool really old stuff. All I saw and wanted was the saw blade and the brush hook (for a friend) but it needs a bigger furnace to fix it than I have.

Cool. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

For sure. :)

A gal ended up with my first knife. It has a cool handle (to me) but the blade is butt-ugly (didn't have a blade shape I liked in my head when I made it, just the handle shape) First time it was used was the day after I gave it away, me and her husband skinned a 650 lb hog with it. (a red one and minus his nuts for about 4 months;)

I've been wanting to borrow it so I can scan the ugly old thing. :)

Cool! :)

Sure enough. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Hardly ever get to do this... :) I got mine used for $4 plus shipping through Amazon. :) No kidding, it is like new. Whipped you by $3... well that'll about do it for me for a couple more years... I'll just have to relish the sweetness of that $3. ;)

Wasn't after that book was a after "on food and cooking" by McGee to give away to a friend.

You're kidding right? :)

The $50 is how much the "knife shop" will cost you, not the book's price.

You were kidding right? :/

Good one! :)

Just used something I saw in a picture the other day while tapering the tang on a kitchen knife I'm making from 50100-B. Bob L's knife has a "hollow grind" in the handle so while flattening it out, only the edges of the wide surface is in contact with the belt... in my case tho- first the hand grinder's depressed center wheel (type 27) and then a very coarse, large, double cut (flat) file.

No fancy belt grinders and $#!% like that around here! :/

Sure enough. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Hey Al, I done some reading :) YES I CAN READ :)

Cold work the snot out of that bandsaw blade stuff and give a report please.

Les

Reply to
PIW

If it was a red one it was a Duroc, Dad bought 3 Duroc boars back when he was still raising hogs, all 3 were worthless, one just wanted to fight the sows, the other 2 were gay, spent all their time riding each other and had no intrest in the sows at all. Dad ended up sending all

3 to Hormel for Spam at a loss. Purebred breeding stock is way more expensive than market hogs.
Reply to
bear

I was kidding about the price tag scaring me off, but not about talking the libraiy into getting a copy then re-reading it so many times I've almost worn the library's copy out. Why buy it myself and lose the damn thing at home so I can't find it when I need it if they will get it and keep it where I can find it if I let other people read it too once in a while? It pays to get to know the librarians they can be most helpful ;o)

Reply to
bear

Duroc huh? ...didn't know that. :) Sounds familiar tho like I was told that before, several times. :/ (I'm just a dumb railroader, what'd ya expect?)

He was one of the hogs that got "let loose" after the gov't shut down the new pig farm in the San Simon Valley. Something about in-humane treatment or something silly like that. They were doing fine until the gov't owned them, then they died and rotted on the spot! Some were let loose just before death by some locals and so we ended up with wild "spanish pigs" in the mountains around there for about 15 years.

We made whole-hog sausage out of him. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Ok. :) Did you find something on the internet? Heck, I'm a new member of ASM... I need to search there! ;)

Alvin in AZ (ASM's number 1 usenet parrot)

Reply to
alvinj

I went to tech school in a small railroad town and got to know a lot of railroaders during the 3 years I went to school there, for some reason the words dumb and railroader never seemed like they should be in the same sentence.

When I was in high school my parents bought a farm building site, and being as they had 2 strong teenage boys Dad decided to start a fairly small but extremely labor intensive hog farrowing opperation as a sideline,, Dan and I knew full well he only did it to keep us from running all over hell and gone with our stoner friends but Dad claimed otherwise,, funny thing that right after Dan and I were grown and gone he sold out of the hogs.

Bear The first rays of dawn make the mushrooms scream. I think with careful cultivation I can make them do "Ode to Joy".

Reply to
bear

Yes, most of what I found has .3 to .45 carbon in it. If what you have has low carbon heat treat will not work. But cold working should, I think, maybe :) I am thinking cold forging the cutting edge down untill you see spliting, then grinding just enough to remove the splits.

I am also interested in using it for damascus blades.

Also, as a side note, have you tried M42 steel for blades? I see 2 inch endmills on ebay, they would be large enough to get a few blades from.

Les

Reply to
PIW

Hmmmm...

Also it's curved, so maybe a guy could beat it straight and not heat treat it at all? :) Didn't think of that before now. :)

I cut off several foot long pieces and clamped them in between some angle iron and heated the whole works up to about 1200F for an hour or so, sealed up the furnace and let it cool.

All I know about it is--> they are straight :) ...don't know more than that. :/

I gave some away to several guys back when I was on the "knife-list". None of them could get it to weld.

The analysis for it can be found here-

Being a desert rat I don't know what an end mill is (not much industry here). I was given an HSS mill cutter (what's it called?) that looks like a circular saw blade and am in the process of making a leather skiver from it-

Cool cracks huh? ;)

I don't know how to spark test HSS other than to separate moly types from pure tungsten types. It's not a pure tungsten type (T#). All I can tell it sparks like something in between M42 and M2.

The cool thing about M2 at 64-65hrc is mostly in the comparison with any ordinary knife blades out there, even my extra hard ~66hrc 1095 and 50100-B ones are no match for the stuff. :)

So, M42 at 69-70hrc would be cool to try out. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

This was a blade that I did by stock removel I started out with a piece of A2 one half inch thick, spanked it once with a 3500 pound drop forge hammer that took it down to about 7/32" thick, I just sat down at the belt grinder (14 inch dia X 3 inch wide contact wheel) and sort of let the blade come out the way it wanted to rather than working to any pre-set design. When I got it done I gave it to my Mom for Christmas, after heat treat the blade tested out at 63 Rockwell C

I thought it came out pretty nice, Bear

Reply to
bear