Low Power Estes Slow Motion Launch Vids

I think you should report the scam being perpetrated by the entire computer industry to the US Attorney General or even the UN. Its a world wide scam!!!

Reply to
Phil Stein

I forget - I might have heard it while I was scrolling through all the bullshit above your response.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Thanks for responding John. Both of these are really exploits(Albeit mischievious ones) and not viruses themselves. The first issue(which could DELIVER a virus) apparently has 5 methods of attack. The first two are really just 'dumb pet tricks' in that they trick the user into accepting a file download dialog, and granted, that's a cruel joke but it's nothing particularly exotic. The third issue isn't likely to bug anyone. The fourth and fifth are interesting, although reference is made to tricking the user into visiting a malicious webpage. I don't know what the trick is, they didn't specify what it said or how it worked but the end result was code execution of some variety in MS's com objects. Note that this is one of those many bugs that hasn't actually been perpetrated in the real world. It was only discovered by security folks actively trying to find these things. Most virus writers aren't this clever but more importantly there is a much less likelyhood of success with obscure hacks such as this. There's a reason the biggest, most widespread viruses use email and downloadable executables,, because they are the simplest to guarantee successful execution. Hell everyone wants to see 'XYZ' naked right? Just Click Here!

The second item isn't a virus either. It's just another exploit that requires a certain string of events to occur. It does not propogate anything. It requires the user to have performed a series of steps, namely visiting a site that loads another site within it and then traps the user's data as it is displayed or entered. That's not a virus, it's a devious gimmick designed to steal information but it's not something that will get picked up on by the Anti Virus scanning software. It's a bug and requires specialized knowledge to make it function.

However: The first exploit 'sounds' like it could install a virus on your system but I suspect it cannot deliver much in terms of payload size. Meaning that it can't do much even if it did execute something. Once you're infected it can go no farther unless it tries to use outlook to send out emails to other users which brings us back to that the email issue again. It would probably provide links in those emails so that people would visit the same site. This is the sort of stuff that people really just don't encounter in their day to day lives. Yes I'll grant you that any number of things are possible, but the likelyhood of success is minimal and even more importantly the likelyhood of propagation is even less. There' just 'dumb pet tricks' if you get my meaning.

Perspective: Bird Flu is reported as being such a dangerous new contagious virus that's going to kill us all. Thing is only a handful of people have been killed by it over the last few years but yet AIDS has killed thousands in the same period of time, yet somehow bird flue is more dangerous than aids. Now granted, AIDS requires a different infection method but perhaps you understand what I mean. Anyone for instance could probably infect a very high percentage of broadband users simply by scanning broadband networks for network shares on users' harddrives. Many people share their entire C drive because it's easier to specifiy individual folder shares for their family members on their home network. You can use that to install any number of things. You could put a batch file in their startup folder to do a format C: > nul for instance. There are literally thousands and thousands(probably millions) of people who have shares open on their PC and have left themselves wideopen. Now if they're behind a firewall they're probably safe, except that they've possibly granted special access to another user on their home network to said shares who DOESN'T have a firewall running.

The point is that yes there are exploits, but there also a hell of a lot more ways to do mischief and in way that you're much more likely to encounter. One further line of rambling: My car has a recall notice for break problems in freezing snowy weather, oh no! What do I do!? Um, well nothing because I live in sunny, non snowy central california, meaning I probably won't ever encounter the problem involved in the recall. See what I mean?

Reply to
Dan Cox

Phil, there is a very profitable segment of the IT world which makes money by solving problems that don't necessarily exist or that are highly unlikely to affect any significant number of people. If you would rather live by a paranoid mindset then that's your choice. Someone however that has a little bit of technical knowledge and a little bit more common sense can get by just fine.

PS The TV doesn't send images of you back to Big Brother either ;)

Reply to
Dan Cox

I work with the 'profitable segment' of IT that you refer to. If you saw what people do to their computers with viruses & spyware, you wouldn;t make statements like that. The software serves a purpose.

Here's a concept you might want to contemplate - employee productivity.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Oh and by the way I use the Mozilla Suite myself and don't care much for IE or TiredSox for that matter. I recommend that other people also use Mozilla for browsing and email because they are somewhat less prone to the most common issues.

Reply to
Dan Cox

Opera, and Eudora here...

Zonealarm Pro as an outbound firewall, and a hardware firewall inbound...

I've never had a single problem..

Ever.

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Hi Dan. I have one email address that I have had since aug 1995.

It gets so much spam that it's email goes to

If I removed these .fiiles for 90 seconds, that email address get about 10 emails in that short time period.

I can't get rid of this email, it has too many SOA records in DNS it takes care of.

And that's how the spam to it got started probably.

Reply to
AlMax

in the last three weeks, the sober worm is killing the isps mail queues like crazy.

some unix mail server admins are quitting and finding jobs outside of IT based on the headaches of spam and worms

Reply to
AlMax

Well, they don't sell 'em from Claremont.... 8-}

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Their are 25 or more in the wild IE exploits that load Trojan code just by visiting a website.

I've seen it in action in the wild and in labs.

in less then 700ms, the zeno codes loads up a few horses.

heck , even "cool search" loads up this way.

Reply to
AlMax

it does if you have a set top box. ive seen the data files sent back to the head end ;)

Reply to
AlMax

Remember the "good 'ol days" when a few software vendors accidentally released software with viruses?

Nothing says it won't happen again....

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

"Well, I say, well, you asked for it!" Congrats! Was it a rooster or a biddy?

Randy

<randyolb

Gotta wonder how many poll workers in Florida are named Chad.

Randy

<randyolb

For those that didn't get the joke, he means the marketing data,, meaning what you watched when. :)

Reply to
Dan Cox

;) I've written the code that sends the data files back to the head end.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Hmmm. Let me introduce you to my "little friend".

Reply to
Tweak

Rooster. Problem is, he doesn't know just when to crow yet, so he does it all the time.

Reply to
Tweak

Use MAC's. ;)

Doug